We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Port Sorell...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Going to Karon in 3 weeks with my wife and 2 children, should we be getting any immunisations? If so which ones.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

In my opinion NO.

My opinion only.

Others will beg to differ, but in my travels I have not needed them.

Maybe I've been lucky.

Port Sorell...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

thanks Marley, the wife is more concerned about the kids with hep a and typhoid.

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

When we took our kids, I umd and ard...In the end I wouldnt have been able to forgive myself if the kids were affected. I went to my local doctor and took their advice.

Each to their own, only you can make this decision for your kids, and then its up to you for yours.

Deb

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Check with your doctor. I think you need it at least 4 weeks before travel but a doctor is the only person who can advise you properly.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

I have never 'been immunised' for a trip to Thailand and have several times taken my kids also without any immunisation but really this is a question for your doctor who knows your kids medical histories

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Yes I think it is too late for anything other than tetanus as most need several weeks and two or more injections. Many people do not have vaccines but we did. As long as your health is good and you are up to date with the normal vaccines you will probably be ok. But I am not a doctor. Maybe you should speak to your doctor ASAP just to clarify things.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

My Doc said, Phuket, in the touristy areas, don't bother at all, and that most of us had some protection from all the other immunisations we'd had over the years. Most Aussie kids have compulsory immunisations for many things, though some are age based and I don't think they get Hep A or B. I doubt you'll need Hep B !

Even though 3 weeks is too late (us, a few trips ago), my Doc said if we want we could get still get Hep A (or others) and they would provide some protection as they kicked in. As mentioned above: I ain't no Doc and this is all hearsay. Just get all to wash their hands before eating, and use bottled water to brush teeth etc. And tell the kids not to open their mouths in the shower (I always forget).

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

nice advice about the shower.... i forgot...and paid for it..

if you are UK based then visit your practice nurse for this

kind of advice

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Being British we are fortunate as they are free on NHS. We go in 5 weeks & both hubby & I had hep A & typhoid our tetanus was up to date. Not mandatory, but advised by practice nurse.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: should i get immunised to go to Phuket?

Like Gracie, we are there in 5weeks (may see you at Manchester airport Gracie) & all of us (2adults, 2 kids) had hep A yesterday. The kids were up to date with tetanus so just me & hubby had that as well. We were informed we didn't need malaria tablets for phuket and we've no need for any further injections before we go but we can have a follow up Hep A 6-12 months later which would protect us for 20 years if we want. I may not have bothered if it was just me & hubby but would not forgive myself if the kids picked something up that they could have been protected against.