We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

Level Contributor
7 posts
373 reviews
Save Topic
La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

A letter i have sent to management at La Moda tailors in Kata. I would recommend that any tourist steer clear of this tailor:-

Dear Sirs, I write after purchasing two suits from La Moda Tailors in Kata.

I purchased one suit for myself and one for my wife.

The issue which I have and have reported to the UK tourist board and my travel agent is the behaviour of your staff member who served me.

I do not have his name, there were two number tailors, it was the smaller gentleman who carries out the sales process and does all of the negotiation.

During the third visit to your tailors I advised that I would pay for the suits when they were delivered to my hotel as initially agreed.

Your colleague demanded money immediately and started to shout and point his finger aggressively. When I advised him not to be confrontational, he ran for a pair of scissors and held them towards me. I was concerned for my and my wife's safety and astonished this incident was actually taking place.

My wife and I left your tailor shop immediately and went to a restaurant.

The aforementioned tailor searched us down on his motorbike and approached us in the restaurant where he continued to shout and demanded money. The restaurant staff asked him to leave for which he eventually did.

The only reason I paid and took the suits was because I had paid a deposit and your colleagues refused to refund me.

I have never experienced such behaviour in my life and the restaurant staff were shocked.

As stated above, I have reported this incident to UK authorities whom I have been advised will report this to other tourist boards to warn tourists from visiting your tailors.

I would state that the other tailor was equally shocked at the behaviour of your colleague and he did try to resolve the issue.

Yours faithfully,

Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

Sorry but you are not going to get anywhere with them. Do a quick search here and you will see how many people are unhappy with the work at many different tailors.

Sure you can get some fabulous ones, but it's usually the same story. They don't care and one letter from overseas is certainly not going to stop them doing what they do.

Hope you didn't let it ruin your holiday.

Level Contributor
39,647 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

It used to be worth getting clothes made in thailand but I haven't had anything made for years as it's not that cheap anymore and the work is very much hit and miss and all those fittings take too much time out of the holiday. I'm sorry you had such a scary experience and thanks for posting here as it will warn others not to deal with these people.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

Thanks for the warning, I'm sure you have prevented a few others from buying there.

However this "I have reported this incident to UK authorities whom I have been advised will report this to other tourist boards to warn tourists from visiting your tailors." will not happen.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
827 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

There is still few tailors around in Kata and Kata Noi area that is very professional and do a great job...

Its very bad when things like what happen to you happens....

Tailor experience should be a great experience with a luxury feeling!

5. Re: La Moda Tailor - Kata - warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17