We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, Nelson, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Hi, I have read the weather patterns for Karon Beach and noticed the rainy season is Sep to Oct so would August be a good time to go? My husband and I have been searching for a nice beach relaxing holiday destination for a long time and gave up until we saw a cheap deal for Karon Beach. I would be interested in hearing anyone's recommendations of advise on Karon Beach or other destinations. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Welcome to the Forum Shelby

Rainy season is actually from May to Ocer, September and October are referred to as the wettest months, mind you I go in October each year and have a great time. I choose October as its the end of wet season.

So August is more in the middle section of the wet season. This does not mean you will have a wet wet holiday, typical weather in rany season is HOT with heavy downpours that last and hour or so.

Your biggest concern in wet season is that most of the beaches are RED flagged due to rips etc, Karon is one of the beaches that this is common for. So it may not be possible to swim in the ocean ( although silly people ignore the flags regularly and unfortunately people down ever Year)

Others will tell you to head to Samui instead at this time of the year , as its their dry season. I Wont. You will still find plenty to amuse you in Phuket, you can still have dinner on the sand, walk along the beach, have cocktails watching the sunset, just swimming may not be possible, but you have the pool at your resort.

Just becareful with the cheap deals as to where the accomadation is, quite often its not close to where you want to be

Michelle

Nelson, Nelson, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Thank you Michelle - what about Langkawi as this was another choice we had in mind? Do you know if it is cheap enough to travel from phuket to Langkawi? We are coming from NZ and have never traveled to Thailand at all and want it to be a good experience. Swimming at a beach is not a "must" for our trip but lying on the sand would be nice.Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Hi Shelby, sorry I dont know enough about Langkawi to comment on it. You would not travel from Phuket to there though, as its part of Malaysia, so I guess you would fly to KL and then to there.

Lying on the beach in Low season wont be a problem, you just need to be aware of the weather conditions. There is plenty to keep you occupied in August, you will still have a great time.

You could also look at other area, Patong is usually a calmer beach than Kata and Karon, just busier, but north end is not too bad, also look at Merlin Beach Resort, 5 mins from Patong, has a private beach and TriTrang across the rd, Tri Trang is quite shallow and sheltered, just a liitle rocky, but I love it

Michelle

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Hi, Langkawi is also monsoon season in August and the beach and water clarity isn't as nice as Thailand so if you're looking for a resort that has good weather in August and you can do water activities then Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao on the Gulf coast would be the obvious choice.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

Hi Shelby - we are fellow New Zealanders, and have been to Phuket in August twice, Sept once, and late June, early July once. We have loved every holiday, and both our August trips gave us wonderful weather. As Michelle said, it's monsoon time for months but don't let that put you off. If it rains, it's usually not for too long, and then the sun comes out again, and the rain is warm, so it's not even that bad being rained on if you are out! Karon is a fabulous place to base yourselves, and you can get to anywhere pretty easily if you want to go sightseeing. We are total Phuket addicts now, and can't wait for our next holiday in Karon again, in July. PM me if you have any questions I could help you with. The deals available now from NZ are good, give Karon a try, the beach is really beautiful, and hotel pools are always nice, I don't think you will be sorry! Melandi

6. Re: Travel to Karon Beach in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20