We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rip currents in Karon?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rip currents in Karon?

Is this the time of the year when the beach is closed because of rip currents?

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

They get rips but no worse than in Qld. If you are used to Qld surf you will be fine if you dont go out too far.

Euros with little surf experience might find it a little dangerous.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

Mate, thats bad advice. How far is too far? If the red flags are out, don't swim. If there is a Surf Lifesaver patrolled area they are indicated with red/yellow stripe flag. Swim between these flags.

It's great you are willing to give advice to visitors here, but please make sure its correct.

To answer the OP, yes, this is the time of year when many days the West Coast beaches are closed.

3. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 19:20
4. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 19:20
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

Your advice is not only bad it is totally irresponsible for someone who professes to be experienced. Australians know about their own beaches and they know more than you do about Phuket's beaches and Karon in particular where there are drownings every year even when Red Warning flags are flying and even when lifeguards are present and try and stop people going in. And it is not only foreign visitors who put their lives at risk by ignoring warnings and help and suffer the worst possible consequences - death by drowning - even Thais who are not used to swimming in Wet Season conditions drown as several have already this year.

Just read this tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k5…

There are many similar reports every year. The situation got so bad that the Phuket Tourism authorities stopped publishing figures for fatalities because of the effect it might have on tourist numbers.

In all my years on the Phuket Forums I don't think I have read as careless and ignorant of the facts reply as yours.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

69 posts in 1.5 days, mostly mindless prattle.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

"you will be fine if you don't go out too far"....???.....Wha...??....

Friendofeverybody....As you are from Brisbane and about 1 1/2 -2 hours from the coast(sunshine),you could be excused for not knowing about or how to read/understand a rip....

Rips can start right on the water's edge - ankle deep....and head out to sea for up to a couple of hundred metres.....The rip usually sweeps away from the beach at an angle....Rarely does it sweep straight out unless it is close to rocks or a wall....

Anyway,usually you will feel the rip's pull about knee deep....Waves break over shallow sand bars,and the waves that come in have to exit somewhere,so the outgoing water travels out either north or south of the breaking wave area(sandbank)....So either side of the sandbank are the danger zones....

Karon has the reputation of the most dangerous beach in Phuket and rightly so due to past records....

It is possible to swim at Karon tho' only when waves are flat or the lifeguard notices you....Tho' be fully aware of the red flags....(Bit different to Australia's red/yellow flag system)....

Also....If Karon Beach happens to have a small wave,say up to 2 feet high - to me this is most dangerous because it looks so inviting and unwary swimmers can get into trouble very easily thinking it is safe....

This is so true because I have experienced how close 3 people were to drowning at Karon....The waves were only 2 feet,the sun shone,the wind was a bit blowy making the waves choppy and making it difficult to spot a rip....Hence,3 people were caught in the rip...One,a German woman was quite a strong swimmer,she went with the flow/rip and eventually swam back in(she knew what she was doing),another woman was so close to drowning tho' the lifeguard saved her on a boogie board...another was going - going until her friends made a chain and pulled her back before she was swept away....Seconds to disaster....True story....!!...

Anyway,common sense rules here....Stay safe and have fun.....!!

PS:How to spot a rip...!!??...Looking at the waves breaking over the sandbank....shift your gaze to the right,if you notice a rippling effect on the surface of the water,rather like a babbling brook,this is a sure sign of a rip...If there is no ripple on the right,check the left side....Also...the rips will gain momentum and strength during an ebbing tide(tide running out)....

As a devoted surfer in Thailand,I always check daily for waves,winds,weather,tides and rips....Surfers use rips to their advantage to save paddling power out to the wave's peak....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

KC, how totally irresponsible, tourists are already stupid enough and ignore the flags.

Its great that you have decided to join this forum this week, but truely, if you dont know the facts dont comment.

If one post you may have undone the work or 1000s of posts warning tourist about the sea conditions.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

Yeah ok blame me. 30 yrs experience. I dont know anything.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rip currents in Karon?

1,000,000 die on the roads each year. Lets tell people never to drive.