We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Be careful of this tour company named Tod's Tour, located in smal land near Patak Road, Karon. I do admit I accidentally dropped the motorbike on the cement road once and there were some slight scratches on its surface. However, the owner of Tod's Tour, a middle aged man, insisted me to pay ฿3500 for the repair fee. He said I broke the plastic broke the glasses bla bla bla which I really did not understand. The scratches are not really obvious and I don't know if the scratches had already existed before I rented it. Anyway I just felt that ฿3500 is too much and was cheated. But I couldn't do anything because my passport was with him. Okay I was really pissed by this matter..

In a word, wherever you gonna rent a motorbike, please double check if there is any damage or scratches on it, better take a photo of the motorbike before you're ready to rent it

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Also dont give your passport as collateral. Rather leave a deposit and a copy of your passport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

3500 is for the repair and lossof use of the bike...not excessive compared to the repairs they want on a jetski..

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Without checking for repair prices I can't tell whether you were overcharged or not.

But most importantly: check the bike and/or make photos before renting, and do not leave your passport as collateral.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

A Scooter dropped on its side normally causes 3000Bt of damage repairs. The parts normally need to be ordered from BKK. Time off hire could also be charged if it was unrideable.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Sounds reasonable for the damage done.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Your fault. You pay.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

Lesson learnt by the sounds of it. There's an unwritten rule amongst motorcycle riders about this kind of thing. And I don't think the equivalent of A$120 is a big price to pay if you did drop the bike and damage it. You know yourself whether you dropped it.

Thanks for the reminder anyway about it being a good habit to rent where you are not asked to leave your passport as collateral, and to take photos of the condition of the scooter before riding away.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

you know now not to leave PP with anyone, and yes, you were overcharged. way over charged. next time, if a mishap, take to a Honda dealer, even if it means renting another day, and they can replace pretty much any plastic parts, as most stock them. you can almost replace all the plastic, mirrors for that much.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

"yes, you were overcharged. way over charged. next time"

Strange conclusion without seeing the exact damage.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tod's Tour Overcharged Me for Motorbike Repair

OP stated scratched some plastic and glass ?

on my 125 wave, I could probably replace all the plastic, mirrors and headlight for less than 3500. thinking along those lines, yes, way overcharged. down time, at most 300 baht a day, and only one day to replace, as usable until parts came in, if having to order, which would be doubtful.