We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 1st family holiday

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 1st family holiday

Hi all,

This is the first visit to this forum. We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child (girl aged 10) and looking to plan out first family holiday to Thailand in July 2012. Looking for some help in deciding exactly where to say and have a few questions so you are able to help.

A travel agent suggested phuket as more to do / see with family and can plenty to do in patong?? is this the case or should I be looking at a different resort?

We are looking to travel for 14 nights, is this too long? is there plenty to do.

Hotel shortlist (at the moment)

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort and spa

Centara Karon Resort (private pool cabana room)

Laguna Beach Resort

Centara Grand Beach Resort

JW Marriott Resort and Spa

Is there a particular hotel that is recommended. We like very good quality resorts with a little bit of luxury. Enjoy spending time at the hotel some time too so nice pool. Our daughter is probably at the upper end of the age limit for kids club and likely wont want to go however if a particular resort is more geared to kids her age that would be an advantage.

What about board basis. I see many hotels are B&B and some are half board. Which is the preferred option and if it is B&B what is the cost of living like from the point of view of eating out, availability and prices of drinks (alcoholic and non-alchoholic).

Lastly, one travel agent has price the holiday traveling with Eva Air (new airline to me) We usually fly virgin would be good to hear about service and leg room in both economy and premium cabins. Also see Qatar flys to Phuket would this be a better option.

Many many thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Have just answered your question in depth on your other post. Phuket Town is the main town of Phuket, but not a tourist, beach area.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 21:05
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Thanks so much realised that once I have posted on the phuket town forum

Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Hi

Many choices of hotel in Phuket, just be a bit careful of location. Some hotels are quite a way from the attractions. Unless you hire a car getting around phuket can be expensive (no meter taxi's available easily - just high price tuk tuk's)

EVA air are a great air line (Taiwan - owned by Eb=vergreen Group - the containers you see everywhere). New aircraft and from LHR to Bangkok is Non Stop (makes all the difference ,the only other non stops are BA, Qantas, Thai,)

Elite Class (Enhanced economy is better than normal economy but not exceedingly so. In fact if they are not busy economy is often better as you canb spread out - Elite is normally full. The food id OK but with an asian influance and the service is a bit mechanical (They do exactly as they have been trained - no variations). The cabin crew are all female. One of the pilots is ofetn western.

The aircraft are new as I say and well maintained. In seeat entertainment (all classes) includes choice of films, musioc and games, moving map etc.

the flight departs LHR at 9.30 at night so after a meal you can get some sleep, you arrive in BKK at around 3pm the next day. Coming back you depart BKK around 1.30pm and arrive at LHR around 7pm same day. I find the timings very good.

The ground staff at Heathrow are very, very helpful (Especially Debbie).

Hope this helps!

haywards heath
Level Contributor
18 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Hi I have iust seen your post and as a regular visitor to phuket I would not stay in Patong, quite seedy, lots of not particul;arly nice bars etc. We stay at the Indigo Pearl on Nai Yang, very peaceful. I would not bother with half board as eating out is so cheap and tasy. We flew Eva Prenium this time and although I though the service was pretty non existent the seats are great, far better than Virgin who I don't rate as an ailine at all. We have also flown Singapore Airlines and they are great although pricier then Eva. If you fly EVA take your own snacks and drinks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Out of the resorts you mention, I would choose the Centara Grand Beach. I can also recommend having a look at at the Movenpick Karon.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

Brilliant thanks for that

7. Re: Planning 1st family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:40
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town