We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

united kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

Hello we are looking to do a couple of boat trips such as to Phi Phi. Just wondering if it is best to book before hand with let’s say Simba Sea Tours or just book with a company when we get there? I have read that the tours vary in price and it's cheaper to book with a company when we arrive. However, are the more expensive ones worth paying the extra? Thanking you in advance

Simba Sea Trips
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Chai travel and Day Tour in Phuket
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Coral Seekers
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Day Trips
Asian Divers Centrum Nurkowe
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

Hello....I assume you are travelling in low season...??...If so then I always book when I am already in Phuket.....Reason...??...It's because I always check the weather forecast in the foyer of my resort/hotel....If the weather is fine the next day,then I book immediately....Booking at a tour office...Don't just pay the brochured price...Ask for a discount everytime....!!....

In house hotel tours rarely give discounts...!!

Also check surf conditions...Larger swells could effect a boat ride....

I prefer ferry over speedboat...Speedboats are quicker but Ferries are more comfortable and slower tho' you can walk around and stretch out....And lunch and snacks are served on board....

Sorry...Can't help you with the more exy tours....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

we booked on our way to the hotel in june 09, our driver stop to check in .his office , they spoke to us ,we got 2 adults for 1500 each 1 kid under 7 free

we did the speed boat , great day out.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

Yes we are going low season. Thank you both for the information!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

In Low season I would NEVER do Phi Phi with the smaller operators, the seas can be just too rough, But I do hear what Coco is saying about booking the day before after checking what the conditions are going to be 1st. I learnt the hard way, on my 1st trip, and it was like a scene from a "Perfect Storm" and I am not exagerating.

For me , even armed with the info to only book the day before , I would only every do Phi Phi or any other tour like that now, with the "More Expensive" operator, and I believe they are worth every cent and probably alot more. For My comments are based on Phuket Sail Tours as thats who I have experience with and who I do and would do tours with.

You are not crowded on these operators at all ever as they only take a max of 20 people usually more like 15 people, so you have lots of room and lots of personal attention. You have english(Australian) Guides and Thai Crew, so there is no language barrier, when it comes to information and saftey.

Their crew are paid well, and looked after like family.

For Phi Phi they leave earlier bthan the other boats to be ahead of the crowds so you get to see it as best you can without hoards of other boats.

And Most inportantly, they are safe. Your saftey and having a great experience is their prime concern. There is no trouble booking ahead , because they wont take you out ihn dangerouse seas or weather that is just going to make it a miserable trip.

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

I think youll find if you leave the booking for simba or PST until you get there you may be disappointed because they book months in advance. We are going with PST on 2nd of May and have already booked and paid then we are guaranteed a spot on the day we wanted better to be sure than sorry

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

Hello from sunny QLD..finally :) Going to Phuket in July. Can anyone provide me with the link for Simba Sea Tours as I would like to book in advance? In April 2011, my girlfriend and I went to Phi Phi Island with Tropical Adventures (speed boat) day trip and they were fantastic!! But thought I would try Simba this time as have heard great reviews and there is nothing worse than doing the same trip with a different person(my hubby this time) and saying oh yes, I remember it was like this or ..we did this..Best to have a completely new experience for both of us. Happy Travels..oh and we still dont have our Air Australia flights refund!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

Here is the link www.simbaseatrips.com

As you asked about Simba here are some differences between the 2 options.

Simba have the best speed boats in phuket due to the design layout of their boats. No climbing over seats and around motors to get into the water.

The boats are owned and maintained by Simba.

They leave earlier to miss all of the cheaper tours or even earlier sunrise to miss everyone. The food supplied on your trip is fantastic with an endless supply of drinks. Australian operated with English speaking Thai guides.

Simba take a maximum of 15 people and will not go over this number.

Simba will only go out if the weather is ok and will cancel due to bad weather, in this case they will either try and organise another day or give you a refund, your choice.

Depending on what cheaper tour boat you go on it can be wise to bring some extra food and drinks. The boat may have 30 people on-board or if your lucky could have only 10 people, I have been on some cheaper boats with no more than 20 people it just depends how many bookings have been made.

A cheaper tour operator will go out in rougher seas that can make for a miserable day but you can avoid this to a certain extent by booking the day before. You will be stopping at many places with all of the other boats and it can get crowded.

I have been on a few cheap tours and have been out a few times with Phuket sail tours and Simba sea trips. In April May i plan to go out with Aloha Snuba and Sweet dreamers sail boats 2 more expensive options. Would i go on a cheaper tour again? the answer would be yes. Are the more expensive operators worth it? In my opinion yes but you can have just as good a time with a cheap tour. its up to you to decide.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,247 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

I so agree I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER do a Phi Phi trip with a cheap company in the low season. I have seen what it was like on a rough day in the High season, and injuries and vomitting everywhere as the boats went for it during a heavy storm.

Whilst folks might roll their eyes at the fees for the like of Phuket Sail tours, you will get very much what you pay for. The will NEVER risk your life, like the cheap boats do. They put safety frist. The revews that say otherwise are 100% bogus and a jealous rival (oh yes).

Always book these better tours before you travel to avoid disapointment.

Phi Phi tours are always at risk of being cancelled because of the weather.

9. Re: Boat Trips best to book before we arrive or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:42
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town