We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jena, Germany
3 posts
Save Topic
How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

Hello, i will fly from peking (13:40) to bangkok bkk (18:05) with airchina. From there i want to fly to phuket with Thai Smile but i didnt bought a flight yet cause iam not shure which one i should take. Would you book 18:20, 19:00, 20:00 or 22:40?

Edited: 24 December 2013, 09:52
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

Oh my!!!! Certainly not 18.20!!!! No way on earth you are going to make that flight. I would suggest three hours minimum.

Jena, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

So you would suggest 22:40. That is a damn long waiting time and i would arive 24:00 in phuket. Will i still get a taxi at this time? I mean iam already in the airport when i land.

Do you thing that 20:00 would do?

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

There is no guarantee that your flight will arrive on time in Bangkok. Allow plenty of time to be safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

If your airline has an agreement you might be able to check your bags all the way through to Phuket and a shorter time might be okay. But if not you have to clear immigration, collect baggage and recheck into your second carrier in time before check in closes. If your international flight is delayed you are in trouble.

It's up to you, of you want to risk losing your bkk to Phuket flight then by all means book an earlier flight, but there is no way I would book any less than three hours with two different carriers.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

3 hours before for international, 2 hours before for national is the usual minimum waiting times. If you have your baggage booked to your destination, and flight tickets, you may be able to reduce that time and will only need to pass security to reach your terminal if on another airline,etc.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 10:18
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

To y knowledge there is no CIQ agreement between Air China and Thai Smile. This means you need to go through immigration, collect your bags and check in again.

If you are on time you might make the 20:00 departure, but you probably will not have much time to spare.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

22:40 .. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

yes the 20:00 would be the earliest one I would book, but only if your airline has a good record of being on time, if not book 22:00

9. Re: How much waiting time should i calculate when changing plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town