We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

Hi there

My partner and I want to travel from Phuket to Bangkok on an overnight sleeper train. I read that there is no train station in Phuket and we will first have to travel by bus to the station and then get on the train. All the websites I've been to aren't working properly, are outdated or aren't taking online bookings. Could anyone pretty pretty please help me with the following?

* Is it safe to travel overnight on the trains for two woman (and in general)?

* How and where do I book the bus trip from Phuket to the closest train station?

* How much does the bus trip cost?

* What is the closes train station to Phuket?

* How and where do I book the train trip from the station to Bangkok?

* What is the usual cost for first class, airconditioned, own cabin?

* Does anyone have a link to an up to date schedule?

* Which station should we get off at in Bangkok (we are staying in Phra Nakhon area)?

Thank you so very much, and apologies if there is some obvious site I'm missing, but I really can't seem to find anything up to date online!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

Here's a Website to peruse:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Here's a "book" to study:

…dropbox.com/u/…20Timetable.pdf

I'm a fan of Thai rail. But to-from Phuket may not be the best way to use it.

If you plan to visit Krabi and/or Trang (IMHO both better than Phuket), the train would be a better option, as there are trains serving Trang.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

I love train travel, but agree with Earthling that it's not a good way to travel from Phuket to Bangkok, as you have a long transfer to the train station first and then trains are invariably late, so you have a long wait at the train station, usually late at night.

To answer your questions more specifically"

* Is it safe to travel overnight on the trains for two woman (and in general)? - Yes

* How and where do I book the bus trip from Phuket to the closest train station? Any travel agent in Phuket can do this for you and you will need them to organise train tickets too, but do be aware that this route is a particularly busy one and tickets for sleepers can get booked out months in advance and need to be booked 60 days before date of travel and would need to be sent to your hotel in Phuket for collection. You need to use an agency to book tickets in advance.

* How much does the bus trip cost? It varies depending on which type of bus you use.

* What is the closes train station to Phuket? Surat Thani would be the one most people would use. The station at night is still very busy.

* How and where do I book the train trip from the station to Bangkok? You must use an agency like RoyalExclusive and get your tickets sent to your hotel in Phuket. www.royalexclusive.com/

* What is the usual cost for first class, airconditioned, own cabin?

The fare for 1st class is over 1300 Baht each and you still have to share toilets. Personally I don't see the point of going 1st class when you can fly direct from Phuket to Bangkok so cheaply. If it is just a matter of experiencing a train journey, then 2nd class is completely adequate, much more sociable, you get the same comfort level too. Air Asia and Nok Air are two airlines that offer cheap fares from Phuket to Bangkok.

* Does anyone have a link to an up to date schedule?

Here's a link to the timetables, the last two trains are the most popular.

www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.Ux0AxChruBI

Trains 38 and 36 are the most popular I believe.

* Which station should we get off at in Bangkok (we are staying in Phra Nakhon area)?

You only have one choice and that's Hualmaphong Station - the last stop. From there you can easily get a taxi for less than 200B to that area. Make sure the taxi uses their meter, if they refuse then find another one. The taxis outside the station are renowned for ripping people off.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

This link might also be useful:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k7…

4. Re: Info on overnight train trips from Phuket to Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town