We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to reach Gan island?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How to reach Gan island?

Hi guys

Was planning to book at Equator village after reading great reviews. Can anybody guide what are the options to reach Gan island from the International airport? The cost of transfer offered by the resort is more than the cost of my four nights stay. Any cheaper alternative ways of reaching Gan island ? And also durations ?

25 replies to this topic
Belfast
Level Contributor
777 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to reach Gan island?

It's a long way from Male airport & involves a 90 min domestic flight (approx $470 return) & then transfer by resort van to the resort, so unfortunately, yes the price of getting there will be higher than price of your stay. The only other option is to hitch a ride on a cargo boat, but only locals usually do this, & it would take about 3 days each way. You only have four nights, so waiting around for a domestic flight both ways would take a big chunk out of your time- it might be a better option to consider a resort closer to Male.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to reach Gan island?

Thanks Holidayempress. Yea i guess changing my resort would be better idea. Closer to Male. :))

Belfast
Level Contributor
777 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to reach Gan island?

Start another thread asking for ideas. I could recommend Rhannalhi- speedboat transfer of 40 mins, similar in price to Equator Village & has frequent guests from India. I wouldn't recommend Biyadhoo. I'm sure other folks on here could come up with suggestions for islands.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to reach Gan island?

Rannalhi looks good. Even Guraidhoo has reasonable transfer. Any suggestions about Guraidhoo??

cork
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to reach Gan island?

is it true that you can now fly from Copenhagen direct to Gan international airport ?, does anyone know the name of the airline, I cannot seem to find any info on this, many thanks to all.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to reach Gan island?

guraidhoo is not a resort . its a long ferry transfer to a local island . I have not been but it doesn't sound appealing in this blog neverendingfootsteps.com/2014/…

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to reach Gan island?

As far as I can tell Gan only services flights from Ibrahim Nasir Airport (Male) and other domestic airports but does not yet host other international flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to reach Gan island?

Gan is not an international airport,,,where did you read this please?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to reach Gan island?

in fairness .. it calls itself international airport http://www.ganairport.com/home but I think the title is purely aspirational

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to reach Gan island?

How strange, they are definitely not international...something must have got lost in translation when they named it.😃

Reply to: How to reach Gan island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gan Island
Recent Conversations