We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh - Tapovan trek

Mumbai
Level Contributor
129 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi All,

My wife & I have planned a trip to Dharali-Gangotri-Gaumukh-Tapovan in the end of May. I have couple of queries.

Since we need permit for the porter, do I need to find someone at Uttarkashi only? How & where do I find a proter? Does anyone know of anyone? I will reach Uttarkashi at around 1:00 pm on a Friday. Since the DFO office remains open only till 4pm, Can I find a porter and then get the permit before 4pm? Or should I better stay at Uttarkashi and then proceed further on the next day?

Thanks a ton!

71 replies to this topic
Navi Mumbai, India
12 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

can any abody help me out about a brief idea about gomukh trek, as bcz we r going 1st time in this route.

Regards.

Joy

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,300 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

J0y001

May this link help you : saffronstreaks.com/travels/…

Edited: 06 June 2014, 10:56
Mumbai
Level Contributor
129 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Check out my trip report -

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g1222155-i15350-k65…

Kolkata (Calcutta...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

I want to go to ghomuk on mid sept. Plz inform me the bus service from haridwar to uttarkashi .

Can I go to gangatri on same day after given permit from uttarkashi ? Also give me phone and fax no of permit office at gangotri? Parmit office is open on sunday ?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
129 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi Somojit,

There are regular bus services from Rishikesh to Uttarkashi. Rishikesh is approx. 40 km from Haridwar (takes around an hour by local bus). As of last year, the first bus to Uttarkashi leaves at 5:00am and the last bus for the day leaves at 11:30 from Rishikesh. There were 3 -4 buses every day. Bus journey is approx. 7 -8 hours depending on the weather & load factor. There is no direct bus from Haridwar to Uttarkashi.

Yes, You can tarvel to Gangotri after getting the permit but you need to be there at the DFO office by 8:30. It takes approx. 30-40 mins. Then be back at the Uttarkashi Bus stand and take the bus. Again, the last bus leaves at around 12 or so. Ensure you have booked bus ticket previous night since there are limited seats. Otherwise, you can get into one of those shared Bolero/ Max, it will reach little faster.

If you are traveling in group (4 or more), it makes lot more sense to hire a bolero from Rishikesh and from Uttarkashi.

Not sure about Permit office being open on Sunday, I was there on a Saturday morning.

if you are alone or traveling in pair, you can also get the permit from Gangotri. The Gangotri office is open for 7 days a week. They issue 30 permits per day.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 11:05
Mentioned in this post
Rishikesh
Rishikesh
Dehradun District, India
Haridwar
Haridwar
Haridwar District, India
Gangotri
Gangotri
Uttarkashi District, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
633 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

hi

very nice suggestion by mr. arun...

Mumbai, India
9 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Dear Friends,

I need some help.

Firstly, From Dehradun Airport to UK in (11th OCT 2014 @11am) for 6 person is it better to book CAB online before or outside Station we can hire after burgain ??.Plz suggest...

Secondly, My parents will come to Harrshil from Gangotri in the Morning and will visiit total sight Seen @ Harshil and next day morning come back directly to Dehradun.

For this I need one reliable car as for 2 people with a cheap rate. so that he can drive and help my parents totally in sight seen tour.

Please heklp me with some well lknown and Active Contacts for the above tour.

Thanks

Priyodarshi

Mentioned in this post
Gangotri
Gangotri
Dehradun
Dehradun
Dehradun District, India
Calcutta, West...
2 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

dear somojit,

are complete your trek please call or miss call my no 9903908315 want to know some information'

Espoo, Finland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi, I would like to know is it possible to make Gaumukh trek before the Gangotri temple opens? I thought of visiting end of April beginning of May 2016. Is it possible to get the permit? Is there any hotels open in Gangotri before official opening of the temple?

I visited the Gaumukh this year twice: in June and in September. I loved it!

Mentioned in this post
Gangotri
Gangotri
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi Agata K,

Gaumukh route generally opens in mid of May (between 10th to 15th). Keep a track on www.gmvnl.com closer to your travel dates.

Unless the route is open, they won't allow you to cross the entry point of Gangotri National Park.

Yes, Hotels/ Dharamshala/ Guest Houses will open few days prior to the temple opening date.

Mentioned in this post
Gangotri National Park
Gangotri National Park
24 Reviews
Uttarkashi, India
Reply to: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uttarkashi