We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for our visit to Thailand

C F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for our visit to Thailand

My wife and I will be traveling to Phuket the middle of May and staying in Mai Khao for a week. We are wondering a few things and hoping to get some answers to the below questions. Thank you in advance.

1. Is it best to book travel excursions (IE. Phi Phi Islands) before we get there, or better to do it once we are there?

2. What are some of of the don't miss excursions?

3. What are some essentials that we should make sure to bring (IE. do we need a power converter?) we are staying at the marriot resort.

4. Is May pretty crowded when it comes to tourists?

Any other helpful hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Phuket Tours Transfers
Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, City Tours
Saphan Sarasin Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

I visited Mai Khao last May and it is very secluded, also not safe to swim in the Andaman Sea at that time. I would suggest a visit to the local village, just follow the back road from the hotels South towards the Airport.

1. Excursions may be booked after arrival, but operators like Phuket Sail tours can be busy and should be booked before arriving.

2. Phi Phi Island, Kho Phanak, Koh Kai Nok, Phuket island tour (Big Buddha, Laem Promthep, Nai Harn etc), Racha Island, Phang Nga Bay. There are so many to choose.

3. Power converters etc. are so much cheaper to buy locally relative to prices in department or airport stores.

4. May is into Low Season and is why I choose to travel at that time. Hotel rates are better and beaches, resorts less crowded. Enjoy!

Edited: 06 March 2012, 22:35
C F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

Great info thank you. Curious what made it not safe to swim? Also did you go with travelers checks how to you handle the money change to baht

Edited: 06 March 2012, 23:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

Most West Coast Phuket beaches are unsafe for swimming in the Low Season, Depending on when Monsoon sets in. Rips, and currents can be very dangerous. I travel with Aussie Express (Cash) and change it as needed locally in Phuket. You will always get a better rate than departing Airport or home City Bank. Money Changers everywhere, although less of them in Mai Khao. Someone else may be able to let you know where money changers are in Mai Khao. I didn't really need them as it was our last stop in our vacation and most charges went to our room account and the cash exchange rate at hotel desk was quite acceptable.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 02:55
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

Hi, you do not need power converters for your appliances ,as the charger is able to accept input voltage of 100V-240V. You can see this on your charger.

And Thailand power plug configuration is similar to North America (i.e. flat blade attachment plug, which uses two flat parallel pins or blades).

A walk away,is Turtle Village(next to Anantara),if you want outside food(there is also a supermarket here), across from Turtle Village,there is a taxi kiosk stand. I paid THB900 for a ride into Patong,and that same taxi driver later picked us up at Jung Ceylon- I paid him THB1000.

We also pop over to Sala Resort for lunch. There is a free tuk tuk shuttle just outside Turtle Village for this purpose.

Normally, I will exchange at the airport for a sum suffice for airport transfer,and also a taxi fare into Patong or Karon,then exchange from the money changers over there.

Enjoy your holiday.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

I would like add a couple of questions to C F's original post. We too are coming to Mai Khao (SALA Resort) in May. Was wondering what facilities were available in this quiet corner of Phuket. I understand that there is a mini-mart in the town, but was also interested to know if there are businesses such as money changers, tour shops, massage shops, bars, etc.

Although we are staying at a 5 star resort, it is nice to experience service from local independant operators.

C F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

Another question I have is, how bad are the mosquito's ? I lived in Thailand more up in the northern part of the country and mosquito's were crazy. Do I need to bring some type of bug spray? what works best?

7. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 12:31
C F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

What are the requirements to rent a car while I'm in Phuket? Do I need an international DL ? Is it worth getting a car at all? We will spend a few days on the resort I'm sure, then a couple of days doing excursions, but might want to take a couple of days just driving around and seeing the country. Also has anyone stayed at the Marriot resort in Mai Khao? Was it nice? We normally stay at the Ko' Olina resort in Hawaii but traded it this time. We loved Hawaii so I'm a little nervous trying a new place.

Thanks all

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

Hire a driver once you're there. These guys need an income. It's still cheap by our standards. Lots of lovely places to see if you want to get off the tourist trail a bit, go south to Rawai, visit the old streets of Phuket Town, see the Big Buddha. You don't need a tour to do this, just give a driver a days' work, and see it at your own pace, stop where you want.

We booked day trips with Simba Seas well in advance as they book out. Phang Nga bay trips done all year round as sheltered, whereas Phi Phi is dependent on the season. Safe speedboat was a priority for us, great trips, both of them.

We spent a few lovely days in Khao Sok, jungle and lake trip if you like totally stunning, unspoilt nature, rather than shops and bars.

10. Re: Questions for our visit to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:15