We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can i rent a scooter?

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where can i rent a scooter?

I will be going to Mai Khao in 9 days, and i would like to rent 2 scooters! Does any one know of a local place to rent scooters?

Mentioned in this post
Mai Khao
Mai Khao
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Tours Transfers
Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, City Tours
Saphan Sarasin Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

Where are you staying Nicole...??...Name of resort...??....Ask the resort if they have scooter rentals and if not,then ask them where is the closest motorcycle rental place....

This will be convenient for you returning the scooter back to them....Of course as well as picking up,unless they deliver it to you.....

Have you rented a scooter anywhere in Thailand previously....??....

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

If near Sala Phuket in Mai Khao there is a couple of "Beach Huts" in front of the resort. A Thai woman rents scooters from there and is very friendly and helpful.

Or, your hotel will certainly organize something for you.

Mentioned in this post
SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
SALA Phuket Resort and...
1,767 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

This is our first time in Thailand, so we havent ever rented scooters before.

We are staying at the Sala Resort!

Do we need an international license to drive scooters?

Mentioned in this post
SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
SALA Phuket Resort and...
1,767 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

u need an intnational permit and your licence which must allow u to drive a m/c in your home country

u can still hire a bike but u won,t be covered by ur trav insurance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

I would recommend you acquire your riders licence before you attempt to ride a scooter in Thailand,that's if you don't have a riders licence....

Riding in Thailand is totally different,however having said that....The Mai Khao area is quite quiet and even more quiet in low season so less traffic....

Top tips : 1.Always wear a helmet - rider and pillion....For safety sake and also,it is the law....Police do helmet and licence checks....

2. Always carry your licence when riding.....

3.If you do not intend getting your riders licence,please do head checks...Meaning>>>Before you take off,always turn your head over your shoulder,use your peripheral vision to observe rear traffic....Do nOT depend on your side mirror as the mirror has only limited vision....

4. Always be aware of the traffic around you and attempt at all times to make space between you and the traffic.....

Way too many accidents happen in Thailand because of unlicenced or inexperienced riders and of course alcohol....

Unclehollywood and andy have given good advice.....

Do not underestimate the power of the little scooter....And above all,be careful and always alert....

Mentioned in this post
Mai Khao
Mai Khao
Phuket, Thailand
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

I have been to Phuket three times and stayed in Patong each time. Two of the times I rented a scooter and it was terrific. It required to leave my passport as collateral, which was scary to do but I did get it back upon returning the scooter.

A couple of scooter tips:

1. Wear the helmet. Not only for safety but also for regulation. I was pulled over and ticketed twice. You would think I learned the first time but the second time I was only going 3 blocks to a restaurant... but there was the police after 1 block.

2. If you drive it for a couple of hours then gas can cost more than the scooter rental. I probably spent $10 USD per day on gas and $7 per day on the scooter itself.

3. Carry your drivers license from home with you. It is illegal to drive without any license. On one of my helmet stops I was also ticketed for no license.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

Wouldn't hurt to get a 'High Vis' T shirt to wear when you are riding and keep your headlights on-- check your insurance to see if you are covered - medical costs are good but quite high if you don't have insurance

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

Under no circumstances leave your passport. It is illegal. If you must rent a bike, and I hate the idea, leave a copy of your passport only.

Have you ridden motorbikes before? If not, then best not to start here.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Sail Tours
Phuket Sail Tours
3,284 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

I remember the first time I rented a scooter in Patong. It was not far from the Holiday Inn, on the beach side of the road. The guy required that I leave my passport. I said "I hope you take good care of my passport" and the guy responded "I hope you take good care of my scooter".

I noticed he had at least 20-30 passports in his waist pouch.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can i rent a scooter?

As Mark has said,

It is Illegal for them to hold your passport and i would never leave it with anyone, take a photo copy and give them that, if they wont accept it move on.

You must also have a motor cycle license endorsement on your own countries License and if you don't it is illegal and you will not be covered by any insurance. If you have never ridden a motor bike before don't make Thailand your first. There is much debated about International driving permits but local Thai Police require you have one or they will fine you.

According to the Public Health Ministry (PHM), motorcycle accidents claim the lives of 27 People and injure 438 every day in Thailand.

Cheers, Pete

Mentioned in this post