We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski / Lodging Recommendations

TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Ski / Lodging Recommendations

I'm flying into ABQ for a 3 day ski trip with my 8 year old daughter over Presidents Day weekend. This will be our 3rd straight year. I'm experienced and have skied Taos & Santa Fe (several occasions each). I have also been to Wolf Creek and Durango out of ABQ. For my 2 trips with my daughter, we skied Santa Fe and she was in the ski school the full time. I'd like to have her in school for a day this trip and then have her ski with me - she was doing well at the end of the trip last year. We stayed at a motel in Santa Fe.

Right now, the snow is not good, but I'm hopeful things will improve. I'd appreciate any suggestions on a new skiing/lodging venue. I'd like a relatively inexpensive place to stay, but not be too far from the ski area. If skiing Taos, there are some rentals in Arroyo Seco that might fit the bill. Another option would be staying in the base area at Red River or Angel Fire. Sipapu has some appeal since I'll be teaching my daughter for a portion of the trip.

Pajarito may be another good choice - I'm not sure how long the drive is from lodging. Wolf Creek is a long drive, but based on conditions now, it's appealing due to snow conditions and likely a small crowd. I enjoyed skiing there years ago.....

As you can tell, I'm looking at all options this year. I'll need to make a lodging decision fairly soon - so any help on location info would be appreciated

2 replies to this topic
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski / Lodging Recommendations

I asked some ski buddies and here's what they report: Taos is doing average this year and they all want more snow. Storms are forecast to come through on a regular basis for the next 2 weeks.

The kids school is ranked very high and any children learning there are going to be able to go anywhere in the world and love skiing.

Wolf Creek has snow, but most of the central Colorado resorts have a bounty of powder this year.

Taos is the only ranked resort with lodging, but Sipapu has both snow and lodging. Generally, however, Sipapu has been plagued with an excess of "partyers" with their children in tow.

Red River and Angel Fire are the same as TSV on the snow situation.

A vacation rental in Arroyo Seco might fit if they'll let you do just the long weekend. Some of them have 4 night minimums or more. If your focus is on skiing, we recommend that you get close to the slopes via Seco or up at TSV itself.

Some of the lodgers there are doing great deals now. You can request lodging and have them compete for your business via the Taos Ski Valley Chamber of Commerce Website:

taosskivalley.com/pages/…

Have fun!

Edited: 19 January 2011, 03:29
TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski / Lodging Recommendations

TaosBandBLover,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. There's nothing as good as getting feedback from folks "in the know". I realize my post was pretty "wide open" in regards to locations, but I'm just trying to review the options.

I've haven't seen many favorable comments about Sipapu lodging ,so if I went there to ski I'd likely stay on the south end of Taos - this would also give the option of going to TSV once I was burned out at Sipapu. Based on your comment, I'll likely just not include it as part of any plan. I thought going there might have some merit, since my daugther is still a novice.

Good advice on the TSV lodging - I've submitted a query and I'm hopeful to get some good results.

If you think of anything else, please pass it along. Thanks again for the help!

Reply to: Ski / Lodging Recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taos County