We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

this is re layan beach / bang tao beach , january [11th?] 2011 .

on the week there was a big report in the press about the quality of thai beaches :

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

this is how thai officals get rid of rubbish :

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/qjq.mp4/

this is vehicle responsible :

img577.imageshack.us/i/layanbeachjeep.jpg/

one day on beach we saw about 50 or so big black plastic bin bags containing all the rubbish cleared off the beach , and where scattered along the treeline / edge of beach . they smelt , but great , something had been done to clear the beach . we saw old bottles , bbq stuff , usual wrappers and crap .

next day thai officals turned up in a black 4x4 pick up , and parked up . they told someone off for driving a 4x4 on beach and where quite strict really beeping at this guy to get off beach . good patrolling ...... however our opinion changed about officals after this .

to our amazment, 5 minutes passed they then waved a jcb down the gravel path , onto beach , and started digging holes . in the holes they dumped all the rubbish in bags as in video .

WTF ?????

after 2 holes on beach , they drove jcb into the trees breaking trees , dug another hole in trees , and buried remaing bags . even more annoying is the pick up was EMPTY , and it would be quicker , easier and more cost effective and kinder to enviroment for the 2 lazy b*****s to put it in pick up and take it to rubbish dump in bang tao about 1 mile away .

after 15 minutes there was no more rubbish to the eye , the jcb fileld in holes and left , officals parked up further along and obviously pleased with their work , but really it was still there but buried . question is , why bury it on the beach ?

i was furious , and dared to video some of it . they kept looking at me , and i worried about my safety cos its far remote from any tourists/people down there so was a bit wary of what i was doing . hey after all this is thailand and accidents can happen to silly tourists cough cough ;-)

posting this report in the hope it *might* just reach someone who takes it serious enough to investigate this quick fix .

the irony is a bit further up the coast next to airport is a beach front walk containing a turtle sanctuary type place . it has boards along the prom explaing that dumping rubbish on beaches takes thousands of years to degrade , and has the exact timelines of differing materials . yet when people turn their backs they hypocritically do that . disgrace , cos its a lovely beach layan beach that i often like to go to .

someone give these slackers a good kicking for this , please !!!

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
889 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

Yes, its a huge problem that I must blame the western world for creating.

The problem of course is: Phuket produces more garbage than they can deal with.

They have a big incinerator in Phuket town and are building another, I believe.

But it is not enough.

One of the reasons for all the trash on the beach is the lack of garbage bins.

Even if we would buy some and put them out, who would empty them?

Another problem is Asian people seem to care less about trash laying around.

We westerners prefer to keep thing nice and tidy, not so Thais it seems.

No easy solution that I know of.

Burning it contributes to cancer.

Burying it is a form of pollution that will come back to haunt you someday.

THe best solution is to go back to wrapping things in banana leaves and returnable beer and pop bottles with everybody using canvas shopping bags. But, i doubt it's going to happen.

Double packaging sucks. Do you say no thanks to the bags in the 7/11?

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

idea : use some of tourist billions to place a few bins and a team of a couple to empty each day possibly in each resort , yeh i dont think that sounds unreasonable . wages cant be too much and cost of bins one time .

burying it is burying their heads in the sand - half the reason people go is for beaches and they are destroying them knowingly ? wow

i did see a lot of recycling in restaurants nad hotels and scavengers at markets collecting

ps

actually yeh i refused 7-11 bags often and just stuck things in the moped seat and / or mrs handbag . they seemed suprised when i declined bags at times , they where unecessary .

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

All bins were removed after 9/11.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

Well, it can happen, but it requires true leadership at the top. We just don't have politicians who care enough to get their hands dirty and set an example. They also need to be tough.

I've been here 22 years, hold a clean-up with my students every year, use glass bottles only on my trip - and my competitors just laugh at me for even caring. I'm also DE for Puerto Princesa forum and it is the cleanest, greenest, crime free spot I know in Asia. The mayor is a good guy, but tough and well organized.

Examples:

Throw a cigarette butt out of a Puerto Princesa Tuk Tuk and the driver issues a P200 ticket, #2 is P500, #3 is P1,000, #4 is 30 days in jail. The drivers don’t get a kick-back; they just follow the Mayor’s example and take pride in their city

Same goes for plastic rubbish - and there is ZERO in the town and the sea. The harbor is so clean you see the bottom from a boat. Dump your engine oil and you might as well leave town.

The mayor gained respect his first day in office when he discovered his predecessor stole all the City's money - so he took his own broom and started sweeping the streets. By day's end, everybody in town was sweeping the streets.

Rank has no privilege. When he caught a national senator's boat dynamite fishing, he seized the boat. When the Senator came to collect his boat, the mayor didn’t take corruption – he threatened to throw the Senator in jail for dynamite fishing and attempted murder because his crew tried to shoot the police. The Senator decided it wasn't his boat and left town.

Every Valentine's Day there's a mangrove planting festival. The Mayor, his Senator friends and visiting Ambassadors all get down on their knees in the mud and plant mangroves.

There is no corruption. Try to buy off the police and you go to jail.

Is there any corruption in Phuket? Are there any politicians willing to sweep the streets with their own brooms? Get muddy planting mangroves? Are the local hoteliers willing to go pick up rubbish with their own hands, If not, we will lose Phuket.

We just finished cleaning up an iconic tourist attraction. My students were shocked with the rubbish. The locals just watched, thinking we were crazy. Where were the politicians helping with the clean-up?

My point is it starts at the top. Leaders must be tough, and set an example. If that doesn't happen, Phuket tourism is doomed. Already the high end tourists are leaving - chased off by chop suey development, rubbish everywhere, rich Russians and low-end Asian group tours. We can turn it around, but to do so, we need leaders who aren't afraid to spend the day on a beach cleaning up rubbish, to properly manage our National Parks, and get down in the mud and plant more mangroves.

Maybe the Mayor, Governor, and their cabinet officials should pay a visit to Puerto Princesa. I'm sure their Mayor can find a nice mud bank that needs more mangroves.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 12:11
Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

Steven,that's the reason,i always thought so,alot of night food markets have nowhere to put garbage,also Walking Street in Pattaya,you won't find anything.thanks for that.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

fyi @ layan beach , credit where credit is due , there are actually several large wheelie bins that are there for people to dispose their rubbish opposite the new cafe bar . they have been there for years . maybe they bury the contents of them in the sand too ;-)

as you leave bang tao just up the road there is also a rubbish tip facility with people working there daily , tho why the guys in the black jeep cant load up the bags in the back of empty jeep i dont know , it would be easier and cheaper .

layan beach is rarely dirty i must point out , only very odd things there , and probably some of it is washed up too . its hardly patong by any means !

there was a tiny bit of oil discolouration of the sand on shoreline that had been washed up from somewhere , only slightly but definitely visible .

sand midges where an issue this year i noticed , not encountered them before @ layan .

2 new rows of sunbeds @ layan this year too , they seem to have moved up from the lagoon areas . i suppose its only a matter of time , especially when the new hotel that put all the foundation posts in a few years back [dont know the brand name its fenced off] finally builds that might be the end of the 'secret' tranquil beach i love so much .

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

Puerto Princesa, the cleanest, greenest, crime free spot in Asia. Gee, I wonder how the Mayor managed that ? In the Phillippines ? Wow. He must be really well "organized".

Edited: 21 January 2011, 13:01
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

Thank you John Gray.. I am always happy to tell our guests to book with you as you are genuine and the eco -warrior..

It is getting some coverage.. would be nice if it would go to the top but that is the problem here, there are no consequences..

It is in Phuketwan now and a local forum too.

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Phuket wan do with some screen shots though..

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

good to see people really do care about phukets beaches , been a great response . lets hope it falls in an email to someone at the very top .

good work everyone !!

thanks

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: thai officials destroying beaches - layan beach nr bang tao

well if you think that is bad go and see the worst beech in the world for rubish .naiyang ,has got to take first prize .the roads have no covers on the drains so you can break a leg ,there pot holes you could put a bus in .and more bin bags than you can count .there is a drain that all the rest put there left over food in every night ,the stink is ????? and all blame some one but not them ,my freinds came here this year and have done so for 8 years ,the last time they said its like a sh ---- hole the smell .. and this is going on all the time all i here is we have no money feel sorry for us all come down in the morning in brand new 4 wheel drives and take them home before the falang get up .

Get answers to your questions about Choeng Thale