We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Topic
Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Okay, so I thought I had our March vacation plans firmed up (Blue Tulum, 14-21), but then I got wind of the great deals at EPM through Roads Less Taken, emailed them for a quote, and am now very tempted to switch our plans...

When we booked at Blue Tulum we got a *fantastic* price, and the exchange rate (Canadian to American) was more favourable. It would cost us about $600 more to switch to EPM at today's exchange rates.

Has anyone been to both Tulum and EPM? Which has the better beach? Is Tulum worth the 90 minute drive from the airport (that's the biggest drawback to us)?

Any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Toronto
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

That's a great deal...I'd go for EPM for $600.00 more...Beach,adults only, more dining options and solid reviews.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Yes, it is tempting... However I've just been reading more of the reviews of EPM and I'm not sure if it's the right resort for us. I really dislike "activity pools", "animacion teams" and the prospect of vacationing alongside binge drinkers. Also, the open concept bathrooms are really unappealing to me. What architect/designer thought that was a good idea?!?!

If EPM was coming in at the same price as we are paying for Blue Tulum I'd probably overlook these concerns. Still, it looks like a beautiful resort for a good price -- but maybe just not the right one for us.

Toronto
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

You get binge drinkers everywhere. Just because a resort is upscale, doesn't mean its clients are classy. My friends vacation was ruined by a wedding pary who overtook a very expensive resort. Swim-up bars are what they are...a reason to drink.

A dozen or so kids at a small resort becomes an activities pool. We travel to this area every March Break, it's busy and we never know what to expect. Nothing has ruined our vacation, but we've seen alot.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Mykel,

One of the things we loved about EPM was that there were many different areas of the resort and each was different than the other. Sure if you want activity, games and social scene then stick to the main pool but there are other areas where you will have total peace and quiet. The Lazy rivers offer so much pool frontage and the EC pools are tucked in back of the buildings and very quiet. There is tons of room on the beach too.

As for the bathrooms, I really do not see why people make such a huge deal out of this. Ok, you may see a glimpse of your partner on the toilet through the 2 inch strip of unfrosted glass. Surely I wouldn't want to see my mother like that but other than that, big deal.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Quite frankly, I don't see the big deal either... MANY of the resorts have the same type of set-up and indeed so does Secrets Maroma Beach, that wispy curtain might as well not be there. When my wife wants a few minutes of privacy I give it to her.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Well, different strokes for different folks. I've never owned a home with an open-concept bathroom, and I don't like them on holidays either.

The bathroom at Secrets Maroma was a little too open for my tastes too, but it wasn't as open as what I've seen from the photos of EPM.

It's not necessarily a "deal breaker" for me, but it is a consideration.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Oops, I forgot...

"ERM" thanks for the description of the layout of the pools/beach -- that helps! I saw some photos of people enjoying the activity pool and just thought... not what we're looking for this holiday. Good to know there's lots of room to spread out.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

Mykel have you been to Royal Hideaway? It is extremely quiet with no swim up bar and no activities at the pool. In fact they play classical music at the pool occasionally. It is a beautiful resort with fantastic service and really good food but we found it dreadfully dull. The only real problem is an awful beach. This resort may be what you are looking for.

Level Contributor
385 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

myke, we are not really party/animation people either but we do like to play sports. I really liked the beach volleyball/pool volleyball etc. Also, I never waited for a tennis court. There was so much room for you to spread out that you will not feel crowded. I also liked that I didn't have to make reservations for dinner. Not sure if this is consideration or not. Oh and one more thing, the bathroom really I didn't feel was open. I mean unless you were actually standing outside the stall staring in..... But the shower is more open. Make sure you don't order roomservice with someone in the shower :-)

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Mujeres vs Tulum???

"I really dislike "activity pools", "animacion teams" and the prospect of vacationing alongside binge drinkers."

Huh? Where was this?

I just came back from EPM and saw NONE of what you just described...aninmacion teams? WHERE? Binge drinkers? WHERE?

Beats me, but that was NOT our experience at EPM. It sounds like you're describing a completely different resort than what we found at EPM.

Perhaps it's because we didn't hang out at the bars or main pool, ever? I don't know, but we completely missed the tacky scenario described above.

That being said, the Tulum area is gorgeous and decidedly more rustic and laid back to EPM's more luxe, refined environment.

I would say Blue Tulum probably has the better beach, but my very picky husband would absolutely go back to EPM over anywhere in the Riviera Maya, that's how impressed he was.