We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about weight gain on vacation???

NJ
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about weight gain on vacation???

All this talk about yummy food has gotten me really nervous about gaining weight on this vacation.....not that I am *neurotic* about my weight, but I am not in any position to put on any weight. I will definitely have to hit the gym to ease the guilt. How did you survive or plan to survive the dreaded weight gain of an AI vacation with so much beautiful food available??? All tips welcome!!!!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Level Contributor
385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Sorry cannot respond kindly to anyone called "lovemyduke" during the tourney.

Just kidding. Diets only work short term. Get in the water a lot, go for walks, play volleyball/tennis etc and you will be fine. I always found I was more active there naturally than here. They have a great gym.

NJ
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Thanks for the tips. I totally plan on playing a lot of tennis and lots of beach walks. By the way....Duke is my beloved bulldog!!! I might possibly miss him more than my kids...LOL!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Ok lovemyduke from NJ..... here's my regimin while at the resort.... I bring my best set of Gym Clothes... I fold them neatly and place them in a corner of my suite where I can clearly see them every morning.... just as a reminder of what I am NOT supposed to be doing while on vacation at a luxury resort such as EPM !

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Most if not all of the "weight" you will gain from a vacation is gonna be from water weight. When you indulge in booze and high carb and sugar foods you will increase your glycogen stores aka hold water. Once you go back home and get back into a normal routine again you should lose most of it.

This ofcoarse depends what your normal diet routine is while at home. If your diet consists of the high calories foods normally well then i doubt any weight will come off.

But if active regularly and have a decent everyday diet.Then within a week or two you should be good and wouldnt worry about it.

Mt diet is pretty strict so anytime i have a cheat meal say a big plate of pasta maybe a couple glassed of wine and some bread its nothing for me to initially gain 4-5lbs.

But like i mentioned a meal the weight gain is only temporary and some exercise will easy burn the glycogen store quickly.

SO enjoy dont worry just get back on track once back home and if you can throw in a workout or two while there if you must.

Merrimack NH
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

I'm with ya stonecreek. Told hubby the sneaks are staying at home - besides there are "other" ways to burn lots and lots of calories besides hitting the gym. Duke-just go and enjoy yourself. I was gonna bring my gym stuff and decided I needed a nice vacation from it.

Annette

Level Contributor
403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

I can totally relate to your anxiety, especially when dealing with buffets and endless food 24/7! I definately bring workout clothes but don't go crazy because after all, it IS vacation. What I might do instead is something like yoga on the beach or try water aerobics. Neither one is probably as vigerous as a regular workout but it eases my conscience if I do a little something during my stay. Good Luck!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Good thought Queezi.... but my conscience is clear.... burgers, pasta, seafood, steaks and on from there !!!!!!!!

PS: Can't forget the beer and a bit of booze !

Merrimack NH
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Just a bit of booze?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Nettie, my little snowflake, I do not want to give the wrong impression, what happens in Mexico.... stays in Mexico !

Cumberland Co...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about weight gain on vacation???

Mmmmm...Mango Margaritas...a natural part of any liquid diet :-)

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres