We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance?

Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Trip Insurance?

Okay, I am curious...how many of you bought trip insurance?

I am debating on whether or not to buy trip insurance. Reason being is that I bought trip insurance once and had a bad experience. I had to cancel my trip a week after I booked it. I had bought trip insurance, which I was told covered a full "money" return less the cost of insurance. However, when I canceled my trip the insurance company told me I had to have a doctor's note proving that I could not travel during the dates of my planned vacation. If I couldn't provide this, then I could only receive travel vouchers. What a rip off!!!

I'm heading to EPM June 26th. This isn't hurricane season, so why do I need to buy this insurance when it is a scam to begin with?

Open for debate...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance?

There may be multiple kinds of trip insurance. We decided we needed the insurance for medical reasons and my hobbies. My medical insurance won't cover me in Mexico if I'm attacked by baby stingrays.:) Also, I ride a motorcycle. If something were to happen, we would get our money back. We have the "premium insurance" which requires a 24hr notice of cancellation for a refund minus $69 per person.

Hope this helps!

Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance?

Get the trip insurance. I fell down the stairs two days before we were to go to Roatan and suffered a major concussion and 16 months later I am only returning to work and the norm. If it was not for insurrance we would have lost a bundle. They paid out really quick and all was good.

Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance?

Get the trip insurance. I fell down the stairs two days before we were to go to Roatan and suffered a major concussion and 16 months later I am only returning to work and the norm. If it was not for insurrance we would have lost a bundle. They paid out really quick and all was good.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance?

My trip insurance was cancel for any reason up to 24 hours in advance for 100% refund... offereed through roads less taken.

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance?

I cant tell you to have it or not but i have never had it.

I would go regardless of my problems. LOL

Honestly never had it and never needed it thank goodness.

Some people feel the need to have it some dont. You gotta decide.

Hey if you cant go let me know i am sure i cant find someone. :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance?

I would never, never, never travel without it which is why we have annual worldwide cover

Scotland
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance?

Hi Jspads,

I highly recommend that you take FFM advice as I would never ever travel with Insurance.

I recently had a very bad accident without my Insurance only God knows what would have happened to me.

TOY

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance?

Just an FYI. Hurricane season is June 1 until November 30. You will be going during hurricane season. Yes it is in the beginning and and odds are you won't have any problems but you just never know.

Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance?

I guess I didn't realize that hurricane season started in June. I guess the hurricane season is similar to a bell curve with most of them happening in the middle of the season.

BTW...I did purchase the insurance because of some good advice from everyone.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance?

Just curious, how many of you actually obtain and READ the policy before you purchase it? They are usually only 1 or 2 pages long, and full of exclusions.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres