We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping / gifts?

Leicester
Level Contributor
209 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping / gifts?

I have looked through the forum to see what people are saying about shopping and just wondered if anyone can elaborate as all I've seen suggests Isla Mujeres or downtown Cancun? Friends have just come back from El Dorado Royale and said that Cancun was very expensive ("Duty free" items more expemsive than in UK!). That being the case I'd just like somewhere to have a wander around and maybe pick up gifty / local jewellry type bits. Friends said Playa Del Carmen was nice but I think that is quite far from EPM (about 40 miles?) Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jess

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping / gifts?

We bought a lot of gifts/souveniers in Isla Mujeres. It is more authentic and the prices are really good and you can negotiate there...say if you are buying a few things from one vendor. We didn't want cheesy gifts and most of the things there were not so. We bought a few handmade beautiful necklaces which were about 100 pesos a piece, a gorgeous veggie and dip sort of handpainted platter and a beautiful handpainted cross for 400 pesos. They have some stores there that have signs for t-shirts, 4 for 100 pesos for kids, 3 for 100 pesos adults. That's the equivalent of $7.50 American...super cheap for 4 kids shirts!!

Can't answer about Cancun, we avoided that. We did buy some things in the airport as we had some pesos left over. They have a very nice gift shop, but the prices are more expensive, but still not too bad.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping / gifts?

My wife is more of a shopper than I am and we walked around the shops area at Isla Mujeres.

Personally, I found it kind of aggravating because everybody is at their doorstep trying to lure you into their shops. It was easier to leave without buying anything though than at other local shops like in the Dominican. And they are willing to negotiate. One guy dropped from like $100 USD to $30 USD on a necklace my wife liked.

Also, we bought vanilla and hot sauce at the airport. The price seemed to be a little better there than at the resort.

3. Re: Shopping / gifts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 07:17