We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Seattle, Washington
7 posts
Save Topic
The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

With a few hours left of our stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres I want to give everyone that is about to travel there a piece of advice...

Bring insect (mosquito) repellent or buy some ($11-$15) at the shop when you arrive. We gave the mosquitoes a 2 day head start and finally forked out the $11 for a little bottle of insect repellent.

2 days was more than enough time for them to make our skin look like chicken-pocks, NO JOKE! I counted over 30 mosquito bites on one of my wife's legs (from knee and down)!

Don't ruin your vacation, I warned you! :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

The key is to make sure your repellent contains "DEET". The chemical can kill a horse.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

OR.....try avons "skin-so-soft bug guard spf30".....active repellent is picaridin......kills the bugs and protects from sun all in one. On Ebay for 4 bucks.

Seattle, Washington
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Some of the people that we've meet had brought their own insect repellent but it didn't work. Hehe.. put something on myself that would kill a horse? ;)

At the resort shop we bought "Bzzz Away!!!"

Contains: Aloe vera, rue oil, citronella, bergamot, carbomer 940, methylparaben, trietnolamine & water.

Also, spraying it on the bites brought relief from the itching.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Other travel sites have reported that the mosquitoes are unusually prevelent this year in Q-Roo.

I have had a lot of luck using the local brand Autan, which can be found in most small stores. It's made by the company Johnson's Wax.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Johnson Wax..... hmmmmm.... what kind of applicator does that come with.

Hoosier
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Would that be a tube sock???

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Perhaps it's a "rolled up" tube sock.... for better buffing ability ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

:( i usually get eaten alive by mosquitos there so to hear it may be worse right now does not make me happy.. being so itchy even keeps me up all night :(

i'm gonna get a bug spray with 100% deet i saw even though i really hate to use that cause it's really bad for you...

Northern VA
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

Maria: What is the name of that spray??

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Mosquitoes WILL eat you alive!

we use Johnsons OFF which is high in DEET dworks well for us. It is readily available in local pharmacies near to EPM / Cancun

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres
Recent Conversations