We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Hi,

I wondering what everyone was tipping during their stay at EMP? Was it expected? Did you receive any extra attention when tipping? What was the normal tip for your meals. We stayed at Secrets Maroma last year and noticed that tipping was almost expected... Wondering is EMP is the same?

Thank you!

Texas
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Moody- we were just there and here is a list of what we tipped 1) room maid- $20/day-Gladys was fantastic 2) minibar- $5/day 3)turndown service-$2 4)meals- $10 5) drinks around the pool- $2-4 depending on number of drinks/food, sometimes more if I noticed other people not tipping 6) room service- $10 Maximillian was the best

Northern VA
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Pug.....you tipped $60/day??.....wow.....must have really liked the service!!??

joliet il
Level Contributor
192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

We tipped the waiters $5-10.

Bartenders 5 a night each and the servers around the pool $2 each time they came around with our drink.

Swimup pool bartender 5 a day.

Maid got 20.00 for the week.

Didn't think it made the service at different.

Texas
Level Contributor
682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

I think I would of gotten the same service whether I tipped or not. That is what we tip where ever we go. I will have to say Gladys, the room maid, was almost too good. When we would return to our room we had to play hide and seek to see where she had put things, everything was put up, no matter where we left it. Everyday all the shoes (all 12 pairs) were lined up perfectly in the closet and even the insteps was wiped out. If we left clothes out, they were folded and put in there place with our other clothes. She was good!!!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

$20 per day for maid service!

No wonder your shoes were lined up....

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback! $20 per day for housekeeping does seem like a lot to me considering they say that tips are included. I normally tip $5 per day for housekeeping, and tip for drinks and during all meals depending on service. At Secrets Maroma I felt that the service I got when I tipped for drinks was WAY better and if I didn't (ran out of money at the beach, apparently I drank too much that day), I would get the where's my tip look... I've read that most people tip, but some don't. I'm wondering if it would be better to just give the servers $10 and say that's it for the day, make sure I'm not empty.. Has anyone tried that?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

cmoody, Did the $10 tip at the start of the day when we knew it was going to be the same wait person at the side of the pool or on the beach at ERC. It was convenient because we did not have to be there for when the drink was delivered and it got the tip out of the way. No more shuffling for bills.

Worked out well and I don't believe it affected the actual service. Everyone there got terrific service.

I worked in the service industry for 15 years and as is human nature, you just feel better serving a person that has thanked you monetarily. Plus as many members mention, they work hard and deserve it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

This is an issue that kind of tugs at me. I would have thought that since the resort claims tips were included, that the staff is paid extra (as compared to similar positons at non AI resorts) and that you would only tip "extra" for exceptional service. Like if I would normally tip 18%, but bump it to 25% for great service, I would tip someone at EMP 7% for great service (since they already get the 18). I know that is complicated by the fact that we don't really know how much, if anything, EPM compensates staff for tips being "included". It seems that most of the posters here do not believe that the resort actually compensates staff for gratuities at all(which would really bother me if true).

Personally, I would much rather have a system like some cruise lines, where they bill your account a certain standard amount every day for gratuities, and you can go and adjust the amount up or down for certain employees. Then you could know that the staff was getting something and avoid the hassel of always having cash while you are trying to spend the day in a swimsuit in the pool or ocean.

That said, I will be tipping based on what I read in these forums. Hopefully they don't mind soggy, salt encrusted bills straight out of the ocean!

Chicago
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

You raise a really good point, Northerwesterner. Has anyone actually asked management or someone at EPM how much extra EPM employees receive since tipping is supposed to be included than other resorts where they advertise tipping as not included? Not sure if that would be rude to ask (sorry if it is- my family and friends are pretty open about salaries, whether high or low).

Central Wisconsin
Level Contributor
726 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

We never got a very specific answer to this question, however, when taking a kitchen tour at ERC, a sister resort to EPM, they had a display of much of the dish and glassware with prices on them and there is a bonus program based on breakage of dish items at ERC and the staff can earn extra, split amongst the staff for low levels of breakage. It appears they have incentives for staff to earn more, or bonuses, but that is all that I am aware of for sure and that was about a year ago.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres
Recent Conversations