We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ecellence!! Questions???

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ecellence!! Questions???

WE have been to Excellence PC, and in Feb we are going to Excellence PM. Are they similar? Will we like this resort as much as EPC? How close are other resorts to this property? We are staying in an Excellence Club Jr Suite Ocean View is this a nice room? Thats all for now thanks!!!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

Personally would you stay here or Excellence Riviera???

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k3243…

Eric,

Check this out. It's on the Puerto Morelos Forum. There's a lot of good info in that thread. This question comes up quite often.

Good Luck.

Kim

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

La Amada is the only other resort in the area. Aside from that it is very secluded. EPM is much newer than the other Excellence properties. Personally I prefer newer properties as resorts seem to date very quickly in the tropics. Maybe that's just my opinion.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

Hi Eric

Having visited all four Excellence Group Resorts I would say that all four resorts are very similar but different if that makes any sense. To a certain extent it is like trying to compare a pineapple, a kiwi fruit and a mango – they are all great tropical delights but they each have there own flavours and appeals. What is easy to recognise is that the same person has been the designer and architect – his attention to detail is amazing.

As far as comparing EPM & EPC goes I would suggest a good starting point, if you have not already done so, would be to look at my reviews and photographs of the two resorts to see if we are in the same place regarding EPC and to get up to speed with EPM:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1229340-d…

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/575199650ObThaG

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d2…

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/575120224UAQHSu

As I have said at the outset it all depend what you are looking for – EPM is still less than two years old and is ultra modern. To a certain extent it has the “marmite factor” in that you will either love it or hate it – we loved it. EPC is now nearly ten years old and is much more Caribbean in style and was built with the European Market in mind – in the past couple of years Excellence Group have spend $8 million on a refurbishment programme and they are always doing something to improve it further

As far as the accommodation and restaurant layout and internal décor goes EPM wins hands down as you would expect it to as it is brand new and the designer is working to raise the bar even further as far as Excellence standards goes. However, EPM has an even more open plan room design than EPC with the bathroom area directly behind the head board of the bed – this does not suit all people. The toilet has a frosted glass door and does have an open space at the top. The shower is huge and again has glass door glass and an upper half glass panel into the bedroom area.

The rooms at EPC as you will see from my photographs and their website are large and all have an in room Jacuzzi as do the ones at EPM. The showers are toilets at EPC are much more private but are smaller than those at EPM.

The Rooftop Terrace Suites at EPM beat virtually anything that EPC and other resorts in Cancun & Dominican Republic have to offer.

As far as the restaurants go the food is very much the same high standard at both resorts but I would say EPM has a slight edge. The bars and service is again on a par although the reception area and Martini Bar is again more impressive at EPM – it is also all enclosed and air conditioned at EPM where at EPC it more Caribbean and tropical in style with it being is open sided which we do not mind at all.

As far as the pools and spa go whilst EPM has more pools I would say that EPC has the best pool area. Whilst the lazy river at EPM is great the buildings around the spa can be a bit oppressive – both resorts are great and offer activities and chill out areas – there is something for everyone.

We rate the beach and the ocean more at EPC than EPM simply because it is much more tropical in style and has many more palm tree as you will see in the photographs. At EPC you can walk for miles in either direction with seeing another resort. At EPM although you have the La Amada Hotel, La Amada Residences and Marina to the right you can for walk for miles in the other direction without seeing another resort. The La Amada Hotel, La Amada Residences and Marina in case you are not aware are also owned by Excellence Group – see link to the relevant website below:

http://www.laamada.com/our-vision.php

Both beaches have nice soft sand and have more than enough beds of various styles and plenty of shade – however as I have said the beach at EPC is much more tropical. The ocean at EPC can often be rough and is nearly always red/yellow flagged so it is more for playing in than swimming.

The ocean at EPM is normally calmer, is swimable but does have seagrass growing about 7-10 metres out and after stormy weather this can be a bit of a problem nearer the beach with the parts that have broken off. Any which is washed ashore is quickly picked up and Excellence try to keep the beach in front of the resort in pristine condition at all times.

As far as the Excellence Club goes Roberto and his team at EPC win hands down as they are at the top of their game as far as looking after you and making sure you have a holiday to remember – nothing is too much trouble for them.

Many people have asked me which we like best and all I can say is that EPC and ERC are to a certain extent like stepping into your cherished vintage car and taking it for a drive as you instantly feel at home and the quality and craftsmanship just oozes out at you – they both have a touch of magic hidden away under the bonnet. Whereas EPM and La Amada are the fresh new models on the drive with all the modern gizmos and that sports button which offers that little extra touch of excitement. The thing they all have in common is the emblem on the front grill.

Basically, you cannot go wrong with either resort but it very much depends on what you want in a holiday.

Happy to assist further if you need it

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

how about excellence riviera is it more secluded?? Does it compare to the others? We have narrowed it down to playa or the riviera both excellence and I need to decide before noon today!!!

Edited: 01 December 2009, 12:21
Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

ERC is not secluded like EPM. There are many resorts around ERC.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

thanks for the advice appreciate it!!!!

8. Re: Ecellence!! Questions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2010, 05:17