We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza

Has anyone taken a day trip to Chichen Itza? I am looking for price information, and can a day trip be booked through the hotel? Also where is the departure from?

Virginia
Level Contributor
276 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza

I am wondering about that tour as well. And is it better to take a bus tour, or private tour (maybe split the trip with another couple)?

How far is Chichen Itza from the hotel? If it's a guided bus tour, does it stop at Hotel Zone? And do people solicit you to buy there endlessly?

Edited: 20 January 2010, 15:25
glas scotland
Level Contributor
870 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza

This is from the daily news letter that was posted recently;

CHICHEN-ITZA TOUR

Do not miss the opportunity to visit "Chichén- Itza" it means "At the mouth of the well of the Itza "and is considered

one of the new 7 wonders of the world. We have this exclusive tour every Tuesdays and Fridays. For reservations or more information please contact your Concierge or the Tour Desk at the Main Lobby. For more information contact the tour desk at ext. 3422.

we have been before but not from this hotel, IMO its a must do,

there is plenty of advice on what to take with you but the one thing that we should have taken was an umbrella to offer some shade. sounds silly but it is worth it as there is very little shade.

if you email the hotel they will tell you cost and travel time.

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza

I emailed the hotel on the link below and rec'd a power point file of all the tours available fom EPM.

playamujeres@excellence-resorts.com

UK
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza

Hi,

We hired a car from reception and made our own way there - very easy driving down the toll road - very empty - returned via the scenic route - busier.

Main problem for us was the odd loose stray goat and the tollopes (rather big speed humps) Okay if you take care

Parking is good at Chitchen Itza.

Can get drinks and snacks + souveniers there too if you wish!

Have a great trip

H x

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza

We did the tour that scotstravel is referring to during our stay in December 2009.

Cost - I cannot remember exactly but I want to say $100usd per person. Whatever it was, it was well worth it!

A large tour bus picked us up at EPM around 7:30am and made a few more stops to pick up more people before heading out to CI. Ages of the group varied, including some teenagers.

The tour guides chatted the whole way out to CI about Mexico, Cancun, Mayan Culture and CI. They were funny as well as informative and made the trip go fast. We were served coffee, juice and a warm roll on the way.

We made a stop at a Mayan Village - basically a large souvenir shop. Lots of goodies to buy. Lots of tour groups here - get ready for the crowds, Chitchen Itza will be even more crowded!

They arranged for our ticket purchase at CI so no waiting on lines for that long of a time once we were there. We had 1hr of guided tour time and then about and hour and a half to walk the grounds unguided. It is a beautiful place. We were lucky and had comfortable weather, with some clouds to shade from the hot sun.

On the way home we made a few stops. Late lunch at a hotel restaurant that was delicious. Different food than you'd have at the resorts. We also stopped at a Cenote where you could have a swim to cool off and shop a little too. We got back around 8pm.

We made friends with another couple at EPM who had booked the same tour on the same day. Their transportation was a small van and they had just one other couple with them. Not 100% sure if they booked a private tour, but sounds like it could have been.

My only regret - we 'lost' a day sitting by the beach and on the RTT! :)

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza

There are tons of options for tours, both the official hotel one and many others offered through the companies in the lobby. I can't recommend any specific one, but maybe do a search in some other threads or see if Chichen Itza has reviews of its own with recommendations?

Just a note--last year we were told that they no longer allow visitors to climb up. We had been told by several people that it was really not worth it to go under those circumstances (although the climb up & then back down sounded challenging/scary!), so we opted to go to Tulum last year.

We didn't do anything this year--first time at EPM, just wanted to soak it all in. Next time I think we might try Coba? I worked for several years with some teachers who lived in Mexico most of their lives, and they recommended Tulum & Coba as their 2 favorite sites. It does look like a long drive to Coba, though--it's inland from Tulum, basically. Probaby the only downside to EPM that I found was that it is pretty far away from most of the day trip destinations, and one thing I don't like to do on vacation is spend half my day in the car.

Edited: 07 February 2010, 13:13
7. Re: Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 14:41
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichen Itza

We went on what they call "the short tour". It cost $90.00 per person. They only take up to 12 people in a van. You leave at 6AM and get there before all the tour busses. They take a different route to get there too. It takes about 2 and half hours to get there. They stop for a potty stop. You have your own tour guide and the actual tour is for 3 hours. It was awesome!!! By the time we were done the tour busses were there and the crowds were unreal. It started getting really hot. It was so worth it being there before the crowds. We stopped at a buffet for lunch (not too good) then were back by 4. This is the only way I would ever go. It is well worth the trip.

9. Re: Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 04:15