We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
334 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

I didn't want to take over the Olympus Tours Topic, but lovetotravel posted that there is a new ferry to Isla within walking distance from EPM - is this true? I thought you had to take a taxi to the ferry in Puerto Juarez?

Any detail on schedules and pricing would be appreciated. We are heading to EPM in September for the first time after going to ERC twice and falling in love with it. The only possibility of us leaving the resort is the trip to Isla if we can make ourselves leave the resort. A ferry you can walk to would be a big bonus...

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

sbharr, yes it is Peurto Sam. This is the car ferry. The one we went on was SLOW and old. Just recently (within the past 2 mon.) have a new car ferry. This ferry is mainly for those who work on the Island, but you are also allowed on it. It was $2.50 pp each way. It does not run as much as the other ferry and it takes a little longer. Not much maybe 10 or so minutes longer. We thought it was fine. The station is just past the marina. When we first used it, we were not sure how far it was and we took a taxi. (2 min ride) The taxi driver kept saying "no its not nice you want the other ferry" we said no please take us to Puerto Sam. I got a little nervous when he started laughing. Once we got there, we got our tickets, got on the ferry and off to Isla. I don't know if the new car ferry has caused the $$ to go up or not. I will find out in October. Again, this ferry does not run as much as the other ferry, is slower and not fancy at all. We were the only tourists on it. But we enjoyed the ride and would def. do it again. Hope this helps.

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

Sorry, I meant Punta Sam not Puerto.....

Here is their schedule and pricing.

Car Ferry from Punta Sam

This is your only option if you plan to bring a vehicle to Isla Mujeres. The service leaves according the schedule below and takes about 45 minutes to arrive on the Island. The fairs are listed below and include one driver. Each additional passenger costs 14 Pesos. Buy your tickets before boarding. The lines can be long at times, so it is advisable to arrive at least one hour before departure.

Ferry

Car Ferry Schedule

Punta Sam

Ferry schedules are subject to change

Punta Sam to Isla Mujeres Isla Mujeres to Punta Sam

8:00 AM

11:00 AM

2:45 PM

5:30 PM

8:15 PM 6:30 AM

9:30 AM

12:45 PM

4:15 PM

7:15 PM

Cost per person: $12.50 pesos

Bicycles: $40.00 pesos

Motos: $50.00 pesos

Cars: $130.00 pesos

Vans/Surburbans: $160.00 pesos

Minibus: $195.00 pesos

Edited: 15 July 2010, 15:46
portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

do both ferries arrive at the same place ?

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

No, there are two separate docks. They are not too far from each other. When we got off the ferry we walked a few blocks and rented a golf cart. Also, you do not have to be at Punta Sam dock 1 hr. before the departing time. That would be the case if you were taking a vehicle to Isla. There is a walkway that you can board the boat while the cars are loading. We went straight up the steps on to an open deck. It was a very smooth ride also. Yes, it does take longer, but we liked the fact that there was not the hustle and bustle of all the tourist rushing to get off the ferry. ;0) This is just our opinion, I am sure there are some people who would prefer the faster and new ferry. Hope this helps.

(There is a virtual photo of the ferry dock, you can actually see La Amada and Excellence and Punta Sam ferry dock) If I find the website I will post it.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

thanks so much for the info

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

imtheone, no problem. I will post the website as soon as I locate it. Is this your first time to EPM?

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

hope it will be !! not booked yet but soon i hope ...hoping or early october ..just watching the price !!

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

Thanks, lovetotravel....This is exactly the info I was looking for...

My hubby and I like going off the beaten bath, plus he will love the idea of just walking to the ferry instead on taking a cab, so this may be for us!

Appreciate the info!

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

iamtheone, I will be there Oct. 12-18th. Got a great deal (IMO) Good luck with your $$$ watching. The resort is fantastic. (4th visit for us) can't wait.

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Ferry to Isla Mujeres?

sbharr, no problem. Have a wonderful trip.