We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruins from EPM?

Reading...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ruins from EPM?

We are heading down Aug. 7 for a week, it will be are honeymoon and first time to Mexico. Wanted to check out some ruins. Does anyone know how far? pricing? Or have any info that could help us out? We arent looking to spend an entire day on a bus traveling or go completely out of our way. -Thanks

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruins from EPM?

Spoked, It def. would be the entire day if you went the ruins in Tulum. It is approx. 80 miles from Cancun.

Edited: 20 July 2010, 18:43
Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruins from EPM?

If you don't want to spend all day on a tour bus, find another couple that will share a taxi with you and run over to Chichen-Itza. We took a cab from ERC last year with one other couple, and hired a private guide out front for $50 at Chichen. Tour took about 2 hours, which was long enough in the heat. There is a lot more history and a whole lot more ruins to see at Chichen-Itza than at Tulum. But, it is a long cab ride...approximately 2 hours from ERC and 2.25 or so from EPM. Total cost ended up being less than $100 per person and didn't take all day. Left about 10 am, back around 5 pm. Also, don't buy any souveneirs at Chichen until the end of the tour. The same thing that cost $50 at the front gate will cost $5 at the exit gate. Nice thing about Tulum though would be to spend the better part of the day at Xel-Ha, which is really clost to Tulum and alot of fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruins from EPM?

I saved this message from our trip to EPM last year in hopes we could check it out this year. It sounds like a small ruin site close to EPM. We have been to Tulum and really enjoyed that too. Hope this helps.

El Meco ruins.... from EPM: Reply

Edit | See on TripAdvisor

shelbymustang, Central Wisconsin

Posted on: 9:42 pm, April 09, 2010

We visited El Meco in March when we stayed at EPM. We had rented a car so just stopped there on our way back. It was cheap, 7.00 U.S. for two. We gave him ten and he took our photo on one of the stages in front of one of the ruins. Gave us a photo of the place when they were actually cutting down trees and exposing more of the ruins. It is a small ruins site, but very interesting. We have been to Tulum, and this is much smaller scale but interesting and you don't lose the whole day.

The care taker is a wonderful guy.

Reading...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruins from EPM?

Thanks for the replies, definately helpful. I am just looking for the basic do's and donts from anyone that has been there. Thanks again

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruins from EPM?

Hi Spoked,

It is going to be a long ride to the ruins from EPM. We checked into it when we were there last week and were told it is about a 21/2 - 3 hour ride to Tulum/Coba from EPM.

The ruins are beautiful and if you like history well worth the trip. It is very hot so take plenty of water, sunscreen and good walking shoes. I can't remember the price because we went to Tulum several years ago when we stayed in Playa del Carmen area, much closer to Tulum.

We have been to Chichen Itza 2 times and it may be alittle closer to EPM but not much. It is a fantastic site and i would recommend that one if i had to choose. Just be prepared for a long, hot day if you decide to go.

I would hire a private driver if you can afford the extra cost, they will stop when you want and you can spend as much or as little time as you want at the ruins. The concierge at the resort can help you find a car/driver for the day but it will not be cheap but worth the cost IMO.

Hope this helps and have a great honeymoon.

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruins from EPM?

IMO, I would go to Isla Mujeres for the day. Rent a golf cart and see the ruins on Isla. Not like the other ruins but really nice and Isla is a great Island. just my opinion.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruins from EPM?

Due to zoning restrictions, there just aren't any magnificent and historically important ruins near you. Chitzen Itza represents a chance to view remnants of two of the western hemisphere's great cultures. But it does take most of a day. It's one of those personal decisions you have to make on time use. Sorting like going to Egypt and deciding if the pyramids are worth a look see.

8. Re: Ruins from EPM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres
Recent Conversations