We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here Now!

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Here Now!

We got in yesterday. Just taking a few minutes out of the sun to send an e-mail and thought I'd share a few thoughts. This is our 1st time here, and it is wonderful. I'll bullet out our main thoughts and then get back to the beach.

- Weather....hot and sunny today. We got some rain that rolled in late yesterday afternoon. It was around the time that most folks want to head in and start getting cleaned up so no big deal. Don't sweat the weather. You may see rain but washouts seem rare.

- Food...very good overall. Have had a couple of misses with fish being overcooked. Surprised me based on past reviews. But unless it keeps up, I'm not complaining. Just had a wonderful ceviche at the Grill. Great rack of lamb at Barcelona last night. Can't wait to keep trying things out.

- Beach and ocean look beautiful. No seagrass to speak of. Water looks crystal clear today and I'll be in it within 10 minutes of now.

- Room is great. Wish we had a better view. Booked EC and requested high up in building 8. Was told we got building 7. View looked distant and we upgraded primarily for the view. Other option was 2nd floor of 9. Not the view I wanted but there are no guarantees. So far that´s the only disappointment. I guess if you really want the great view, better to book a RTT. But I did sit on the balcony this a.m. and was happy to be looking at the ocean even if it was behind the trees. Better than the way I normally wake up on a Thursday!

Atmosphere - you make it what you want. Want liveliness? Hang out at the main pool. Want quiet? Go just about anywhere else. My wife and I are here solo and have met some great people. Everyone seems very happy including the staff.

Will check this maybe once a day if anyone has questions.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here Now!

Have a great time, glad to hear the beach cleaned up as it was pretty sea grassy about a week ago,

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,624 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here Now!

Hi

Glad all is nearly OK

When you say #7 I presume you mean the building facing into the resort towards #9???

What is occupancy like??

Edited: 22 July 2010, 22:20
California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here Now!

Hi W,

Glad your having a wonderful vacation and its nice to hear that the sea grass has cleared up for you. Last week the sea grass was not very nice to us and it hung around almost everyday.

PHILADELPHIA,PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here Now!

Glad you are having a great time! How is the X Lounge?

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here Now!

Flip - Yes, one option was building 7 facing toward 9 with the main pool and ocean in the view. I was simply hoping to be closer to the ocean. The other room was in 9 facing toward the wedding gazebo. I did not ask about occupancy, and I did not push as hard as I probably could have on the room. We have actually settled in to the room in 9 very well and like that we can see the ocean and have some privacy with a nice palm in front of our balcony. The sound of that in the breeze makes falling asleep on the bed very easy.

I was a bit mistaken about the sea grass. At the time when I posted yesterday, I did not see any to speak of but we hadn´t yet spent much time at the beach. Maybe when I looked the tractor had recently cleaned it up. When we went down yesterday afternoon, there was a small line of it at the shore and some floating in teh water. But the water itself seemed very clear. I could see my feet when standing in waist dep water. We liked the beach area very much.

We had dinner at Agave last night and it was terrific. The best meal we´ve had so far. They got the fish right and the service was fantastic. The Michal Jackson show was very entertaining. I´m not a big MJ guy but the impersonator did a great job.

We did not make it to the X Lounge. Actually forgot all about it. We may try to swing by there this evening.

Other thoughts - Weather held out all day yesterday. Sunny and warm with steady breezes. No bugs to speak of yet. We haven´t touched our spray. All service - maid, bar, restaurant, etc. Has been great. Room service was scheduled for 8 this morning and the knock on the door was precisely at 8. I was impressed. Mini fridge guy was at our room the 1st day. I asked to trade out some drinks we didn´t need for Corona Light. He only had a couple which was fine for me. But he seemed to want me to have more and was back at the room in 2 minutes with an ice cold 6 pack of them. It´s good to expect a somewhat laid back approach at the bars and restaurants. They are hustling but you shouldn´t expect to snap your fingers and have someone running to you. I personally like the causal yet attentive service. We´re on vacation so we don´t want to feel like we´re in a hurry.

Time to grab a chair. We just have to make the biggest decision of the day - beach or pool?

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here Now!

One other thought... There was a post about Olympus transfers earlier. We had a private transfer with them booked and it sounded like some folks were not happy with their service. We thought it was outstanding. They were outside the door with my name on a board. Took us to a black suburban with cool towels, cold bottled water, and the man said wine. Not sure if it was sparkling or not because we didn´t need it. I had already grabbed a beer and a margarita at the hut. they gave my wife a rose and small gift. The guys were very professional and have not been pushy at all about booking the tours or scheduling an appointment.

I know that cancun transfers gets tons of good comments and their price sounds like it might be the lowest. I´m just saying that Olympus was top notch and there´s no need to worry about them if that´s what comes with your package. I was pleasantly surprised.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,624 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here Now!

Keep having fun

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here Now!

Hightower......we are arriving on Sunday.....need a weather report.

What's with the storm?????

Any updates??????

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here Now!

Hightower,

Was wondering what the age range of the guests is. I realize that could change depending on the week but I have read quite a few posts where people have said it is mostly a younger crowd like honeymooners and couples in their 20's and 30's. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Just wondering if you are finding that to be the case?

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here Now!

Glad to hear your room service was on time, ours was not great. We would order our breakfast the night before,to be there at 9:00, as we did at ERC and at 9:30 we had to call to see where they were. They arrived a few minutes later and were missing many items we ordered. We gave it other try a couple days later and service did not improve, still late and missing items.

When we went down to breakfast the other days, service was great at the buffet.