We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

erc or epm

Belgium
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
erc or epm

hello

In december we would like to go back to exellence, we've have twice to erc, we we found it so good, is epm better? because it's newer hotel?

we don't now which hotel to choose.

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: erc or epm

Hi there! We were faced with the same decision this year. We've been to ERC twice and loved pretty much everything about it, but figured there are so many different hotels to try...why keep going back to one? So, we chose EPM for our upcoming trip and are sure we'll be happy with the decision. I think trying a resort that is run by the same company is a safe way to try something new without too many surprises.

I think FFM said it best when he says comparing ERC and EPM seems a bit like comparing kiwis and mangos (at least, I think it was kiwis and mangos)...both different, but still delicious tropical fruits.

I don't know that one is "better" necessarily, it just depends on personal preferences. ERC is a bit older, which means the staff is probably a bit more settled in and the plants a bit more mature, but also may mean that some of the areas of the resort are getting a little worn and could use freshening up. It's also a completely different style resort than EPM in that it is more tropical/colonial/rustic maybe, whereas EPM is modern and sleek.

EPM is newer, which means service may not be on the same level as ERC and the hotel. EPM, however, has newer rooms which may not be as seasoned yet, room categories that ERC doesn't offer, etc.

My hope is that we will show up at EPM and even though it's a totally new resort for us, feel a sense of being "home" after two trips to ERC but still have lots of new things to discover and fall in love with.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: erc or epm

Hello

Having visited all four Excellence Group Resorts a few times now I would say that all four resorts are very similar but different if that makes any sense. To a certain extent it is like trying to compare a pineapple, a kiwi fruit and a mango – they are all great tropical delights but they each have there own flavours and appeals. What is easy to recognise is that the same person has been the designer and architect – his attention to detail is amazing.

As far as comparing EPM & ERC goes I would suggest a good starting point, if you have not already done so, would be to look at my photographs of EPM - we have now been to both three times:

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/577742261bjXPnY

You may also want to look at the albums for our previous trip as well and these contain many more photos of both resorts:

community.webshots.com/user/flipflop_man

Please note that many of the rooms shots are not of standard rooms so please check out the labels

As I have said at the outset it all depend what you are looking for – EPM is just over two years old and is ultra modern. To a certain extent it has the “marmite factor” in that you will either love it or hate it – we loved it and so do most people who go there.

ERC is now nearly six years old and although it is still in my opinion in very good condition and very well maintained it does seem a little bit dated in places. This in my opinion is party down to its “colonial” style and having newer more modern resort on either side. However it has great reviews has a lot of repeat trade and is the #1 adult only resort in the Puerto Morelos area.

As far as the accommodation and restaurant layout and internal décor goes EPM wins overall as you would expect it to as it is brand new and the designer has raised the bar even further as far as Excellence standards goes. We however, this trip liked the feel and décor in the Spice and the Agave much more at ERC than that at EPM.

One design feature that some may have a problem with at EPM is the even more open plan room design with the bathroom area directly behind the head board of the bed – this will not suit all people. The toilet at EPM has a frosted glass door and does have an open space at the top. The shower is huge and again has glass door glass and an upper half glass panel into the bedroom area and again some people may have issues with this– you will find photos of these features in my online photo album for 2008/2009. The bathroom layout at ERC offers a greater degree of privacy if this is important to you

The Rooftop Terrace Suites at EPM beat just about anything that ERC and most other resorts in Cancun have to offer.

As far as the restaurants go the food is very much the same high standard at both resorts but I would say that ERC wins as the food and presentation was slightly better. On a service front I would say that again ERC wins by a very close margin as it is just such a well oiled machine as many of the people have been together for so long. ERC has one more dining option at lunchtime. The overall choice of bars and restaurants is on a par but the reception area and Martini Bar is much more impressive at EPM

Two of the restaurants at the resorts are different – ERC has an Oregano Restaurant which serves pizza, etc and this is open for lunch and dinner. EPM has the Flavour Market which is open in the evening and this is a New York style Tapas Bar. The range at both resort is being extended later in the years to include a Basmati Restaurant which as the name suggests will have Indian cuisine.

As far as pools are concerned EPM has more pools and I would say there are also more sunbathing areas overall. The spas are on a par but again the one at EPM is much more modern and better equipped as you would expect as it much newer. The lazy rivers at ERC and EPM and very much on a par but this year we did think that due to the growth in all the planting around the spa at EPM that it was much more private and peaceful than that at ERC. Some may feel with the size of the buildings at EPM that the area around the spa is a little bit oppressive but as I have said the gradual maturing of the planting has helped dampen this

Both resorts are great and offer activities and chill out areas – there is something for everyone.

The grounds at ERC are obviously more mature but the grounds at EPM will be more spectacular as time progresses and we did notice that the difference has narrowed a lot on this repeat trip

We rated the beach and the ocean more at EPM than ERC simply because it is more secluded than ERC. Both beaches are well maintained and at both properties and the amount of seagrass broken off in the water and on the shoreline in party seasonal and weather dependent as the more waves action you get the more “bits” and sand there is likely to be in the water. The sand at ERC is finer than at EPM and is deeper than the beach at EPM. However, many of the thatched sun shades at ERC are very low indeed which is rather odd.

Both resorts have an Excellence Club beach section and both have Excellence Club pools which they have started to police in a very polite manner. Both resorts have an extensive range of sun loungers in various single and double styles. There is also more than and adequate shade. All Excellence Resorts are now raising their game with regards to the quality of service offered to Excellence Club guests and personally I like what they are doing and have no fears at all that it will result in a them and us society

At ERC you have properties on either side where as at EPM although you have the La Amada Hotel, La Amada Residences and Marina to the right you can for walk for miles in the other direction without seeing another resort. The La Amada Hotel, La Amada Residences and Marina in case you are not aware are also owned by Excellence Group – see link to the relevant website below:

http://www.laamada.com/our-vision.php

I am repeatedly asked by both Excellence staff and fellow travellers which we like best and all I can say is that EPC and ERC are to a certain extent like stepping into your cherished vintage car and taking it for a drive as you instantly feel at home and the quality and craftsmanship just oozes out at you – they both have a touch of magic hidden away under the bonnet. Whereas EPM and La Amada are the fresh new models on the drive with all the modern gizmos and that sports button which offers that little extra touch of excitement. The thing they all have in common is the emblem on the front grill.

Basically, you cannot go wrong with either resort but it very much depends on what you want in a holiday.

One thing for certain is that we will be going back to both resorts again next year

Happy to assist further if you need it

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: erc or epm

Hi Jochentje,

Try something new and go to EPM. We really liked ERC and the service was alittle better there but the rooms at EPM are beautiful.

4. Re: erc or epm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres