We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoning home

illinois/wisconsin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
phoning home

does anyone know what the resort charges for phone use to call the states?? we are comming in November for 7 days and ive looked into my cell plan and i see the roam rates are pretty high and ive read a few posts about not getting a signal anyways. my wife is concerned about not being able to talk to our kids as easy as if we were still in the U.S.we are planning on bringing our laptop, but its not the same as hearing thier voices

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
SURREY
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phoning home

set up skype you can see and talk for nothing all day long that way

have a lovely trip

jackie

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phoning home

call your cell phone company, most have a Mexico plan that can be turned on for the length of your stay at a prorated rate...it takes the charges down to 0.59 per minute ...or buy a super cheap calling card.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phoning home

skype is free cell plans cost money

illinois/wisconsin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: phoning home

thanks guys....looks like skype is the way to go.........

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phoning home

Just wondering if anyone has used Skype at EPM? Was the internet connection strong enough for a good connection? I ask because I've spent the week trying to Skype with my husband, and the connection at his hotel in Montreal was pretty crappy, so our calls got dropped constantly and we were pretty much unable to use video.

We had our laptop at EPM last year, didn't use Skype, but found the internet a bit on the slow side. Didn't bother me at the time, since I was on vacation and didn't really need anything--but it would annoy me if I were trying to Skype someone and the calls kept dropping.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phoning home

We were at EPM last April and took a Netbook. We found that when trying to use Skype the video connection failed quite often but the audio connection stayed up with no problems. We sat on our deck and chatted with our daughters no problem.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phoning home

you could always just use one of the computers in the business center to skype....its located on the 3rd floor of the lobby it consists of about 5 computers that are free to use...

Edited: 09 October 2010, 00:24
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phoning home

I thought the wifi in our room was faster than the computers in the business center.

New York
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phoning home

We have Verizon and we added international calling to our blackberries for the week we were at EPM because I wanted to be able to call my kids at home every day. I also wanted them to be able to call us. I didn't feel like dragging our laptop so it was nice to have the unlimted data so we could check e-mail and keep in touch with home where ever we wanted. It cost us $20 for the week. Next time we may use skype..

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phoning home

LuvRingo--I'm with you, I found the computers in the business center very frustrating to use. Plus, if the wifi in the room allows for good audio calls, then there's no advantage gained in the business center, as I don't think there are web cams there so you couldn't do video anyway. Also, many people might prefer more privacy when calling home.