We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little disappointed with the dress code.....

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
34 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
A little disappointed with the dress code.....

Hi all,

Having just returned from 2 weeks being married and honeymooning at EPM and havind spent every day over the past 6 months scouring this board for hints and tips, I was a little diappointed at some of the dress standards on an evening. Having packed several pairs of linen trousers, tailored shirts and shorts etc (Im a man) I was a little disappointed to see some of the dress codes that some people wore. On most nights, I would say that probably 1-2 in 10 men wore jeans (I carried out a straw poll over a few nights) and some men had on sleeveless shirts in the evening. I guess that they might not have been eating, but having expected the vast majority of people to be very smartly dressed, I was a little suprised. Have to say we had a great time though, and still was nice to be all dressed up with the vast majority.

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

Agree with you 100%. It was like they had no mirror in their rooms. Can you even imagine how they dress at home?

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
34 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

We still had a fantastic time, but having read many of the forum discussions, I had tol my parents and family to bring trousers, sirts, 3 button t shirts with collars etc. I've nothing against jeans (thats pretty much all I wear at home) but what is a 5 star resort, and coming from the UK, costs a lot of money to get there, perhaps some of the attire wasn't what I expected and is sort of felt like it lowered the tone, particulaly in places such as the MArtinin bar which is so pretty and and ideal place for dressing up and looking like you have made the effort. Saying that we were here for our wedding and honeymoon, so maybe I was inclined to dress up more.

New York
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

I agree.. One night at Toscana we saw one man being turned away because he showed up in shorts and t-shirt. Obvisously they told him what the dress code was (long pants, collared shrt) when they turned him away. He came back 15min later in jeans and same t-shirt. Come on...you can't dress nicer for ONE meal. This is a nice resort I loved everyone dressing nicely for dinner. Jeans and a t-shirt is pub attire...not resturant.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

I agree. It's a very classy place and I think that people need to dress appropriately to maintain the atmosphere. What always strikes me as funny is that the people wearing jeans think they're going to be more comfortable when in fact it's the exact opposite. The dressier clothes are usually 10 times cooler not to mention they look so much better.

New York
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

I know! I do not want to wear jeans in 90 degree weather! My husband was much cooler in a pair of linen trousers and a light button down shirt or polo. I was sweating just looking at people wearing jeans.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

We enjoy dressing up for dinner as we rarely get the opportunity to do so at home.

My husband is dressed down at EPM when wearing nice kakhi pants and a collared polo shirt. Ordinarily he wears full button shirts.

Although I feel bad as he usually wears pants everynight even when we dine at the lobster house and the grill outside when it can be quite warm. I will have to remind him this time he can wear shorts to those restautrants and I think the flavour market as well.

I always wear skirts, dresses for dinner and I take a couple pairs of dressy capris and wear pretty blouses and tops with them. This time I am goin to try and pack less shoes.

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

Totally agree! While we were there Oct 12 -18th, there were so many people that IMO were not dressed appropriate during the evening. I was surprised that they actually allowed them to dine dressed that way. i.e. cut off jean shorts, tanks, tees etc. We even saw people barefoot at the martini bar! lol

We enjoy getting dressed up for dinner! Again, this is just what we prefer.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

My wife and I agree about dressing up a little at night....we prefer doing so. If I am going to do the Denny's look, I'll go to Denny's.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

This thread reaks of snobs. IMO you meet the dress code by wearing slacks and not jeans or shorts, and a button up shirt.... that's it. If it is not elegent enough for you then step up to the plate and go to a nice restaurant in the area.

You are dinning at an AI resort with many other guests that I am sure many including myself could careless what you think. You are not paying $300 for the meal, if you were I could see the point. This is the difference between reality of fine dining and the resorts image of fine dining.

People need to mind their own business

Edited: 28 October 2010, 20:08
Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A little disappointed with the dress code.....

Hmm. I didn't think anyone was advocating going way overboard on dressing up. Sounds like your idea of what's adequate was right along the lines that everyone else was talking about unless I am missing something!