We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

I have been checking some prices online as we are looking to return to EPM in February (Feb 25 to March 4). The prices seem high this year in comparison to the past. Now mind you we have booked last minute before but I always tracked the prices in advance.

We will be flying from Toronto and the least expensive pkg I have found is appox $2300 pp (CAD) for a Jr Suite.

What are your thoughts about the pricing?

Thanks

mama2four
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

That seems about right. There's a reason we travel in Nov/Dec....it's the cheapest winter month to travel in. We've noticed that rates begin to climb on Dec 15th and get higher and higher until May, when they go back down again. Ideally we'd like to travel in february or march, but it's just too costly for us. after all was said and done we paid $4500 total for a NON EC RTT for november 27-dec 4 for 7 nights. of course that includes everything: airfare, shuttling, etc. man, just saying that amount of money gives me the chills. we better have a great time:) Hope you do too!

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

I seem to recall that the price is not usually quite that high, it seems to drop down again after Christmas thru January. It hikes again for Valentines day but drops off again usually until March.

We have paid $1800 to $1900pp for flight and accomodations. Granted we have booked 2 or 3 weeks in advance but that price is usually dropped from about $2,000 to $2,200pp. It just seems to be starting off a bit higher this year. The prices above are in Canadian.

Hopefully it will come down a bit as we are headed there Dec 10 and were planning to return with friends that we met there last year for Feb 25.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

We booked back in August with Air Canada Vacations, and got a great early booking price (in my opinion). EPM... Jan 31 for 7 days in a jr suite.... flying out of Toronto on Air Canada for $1688 pp plus tax (just under $2000)

That same package today is more than $2400 plus tax.

I agree that the prices are high right now.......hope you can find a good deal somewhere! Enjoy your holiday!

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

Beachyfam - we were at EPM the end of January last year had a great time!

The prices I quoted above are including taxes. The last couple of years were booked only two or three weeks in advance. We have travelled the last few trips with Air Transat and really enjoy it. Even upgrade the seats to club class sometimes.

We have found Air Canada to be more expensive for packages to Mexico. I also have a dislike for Air Canada since we had a bad experience with them gong to Jamaica. But if you can get a good price you spend the least amount of time of your vacation on the plane anyway.

I'll keep looking. It would be great if we could squeeze another tirp in the winter as we will be starting a family soon, so its nice to take advantage of our free time now.

Happy Travels

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

We started looking maybe a month ago for January, and I'm wishing we had just booked then but my husband wasn't sure. I checked again this weekend and the prices seemed to have gone up by a few hundred dollars per person, and they were already higher than what we paid last year (it was about $2000 CAD pp, now it's about $2200), taxes included).

Not sure if we should wait and see if they drop closer to the date, or go ahead and book. With all the negative media coverage about Mexico lately, I was thinking prices would be lower this year--*I* know the Cancun area isn't impacted by the violence, but so many people don't, I thought it might keep prices down.

We are looking primarily at AirCanada because of the flight schedule. Every time I compare, their prices are maybe $100 more than the other options, but the flight times are so much more "civilized" that it's worth a small premium to us. Also, the regular coach seats on AC are way more comfortable than the regular seats on Transat, so if we paid to upgrade there it would cost more than AC. We've had bad experiences with pretty much every airline out there now, so I figure we're taking our chances no matter who we fly with!

One thing I won't do anymore is fly with the discount seasonal vacation package companies. We flew with one a few years ago and when there was a problem with our flight it was a nightmare to get it sorted out. 3 weeks after we came home, they went bankrupt, leaving people stranded all across the Caribbean. Several other of these companies have done the same thing over the last 5 years, so it just doesn't seem worth the savings to me. Even with travel insurance, it's still a PITA to deal with.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

've been going to resorts at the same time every year for the last 7 years, and i've found that the week i go seems to have very good prices.

I always go the first week in December.

We went to EPM last year (loved it) and are going again on Dec.2.

We paid around 1260 plus fees/taxes so it was about 1600 per person. Good deal i think.

Ryan

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

Pazuzu - we will be at EPM on Dec 10. We paid $1531 CDN pp inc taxes. That is a great price for this resort. It sounds like we will just miss you.

This will be our third time.

Yes the fall and December up to Christmas (low season) traditionally have lower prices. Its from Christmas on that they increase for the high season. We have been to EPM in the last week of January and the first week of March prevously and not paid anywhere near what they are currently listed at (I have been watching the prices for this resort for the last couple of years and I have not seen it this high before for that time of year). We usually book closer to the date of travel - two or three weeks in advance, but this year in February we are planning on meeting friends so we have specific dates we want to go - rather than just booking off a window of a couple of weeks at work and choosing the least expensice one.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

an even better deal! we actually paid 1579 each all in, so i'm gonna DEMAND we get a refund of 50/each since you paid less! ;-)

but you know what folks, it's worth more than what 1wink1 and I paid, so don't fret if you're paying a little more-it's a fabulous resort and worth more than 2k in my mind.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

Pazuzu - is right! I will and have in the past paid more to travel during the winter months (high season). It is definately worth it. I would pay more if I had to but I spend alot of time watching the prices and researching so that we can have more vacations.... gotta make that dollar streach as far as possible!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM Winter Prices - what do you think?

Agreed, EPM is definitely worth the money, but our travel budget was already tight for this year, so I'm not sure we're going to do it unless it comes down just a little. We'll see!

Wink, if you find someplace offering a great deal, can you give me a shout? I'll do the same! I know we're looking at different times (we'll probably go one of the last 2 weeks in January, I have an online course that starts January 31 and I don't like the idea of sitting in my room at EPM doing coursework if we go in February!), but maybe we can find someplace that has good prices for both weeks. I'm off to search again today, because I haven't checked in a few days!