We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at La Amada

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
390 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at La Amada

We will be going to La Amada next week and we're very excited. Our question is with the AI plan, how do we tip and how much? Are tips included? If we tip, is it after each service or at the end of the week? Thank you for any help.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at La Amada

The simple answer is that tips will be appreciated and people normally give them when they think they have had good service

So for people such as bell hops, waiters, etc you would tip as you go and for maids you may leave it until your last day

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I tip for service that is at least slightly above and beyond the 'call of duty'. So if someone goes out of their way to help me or be pleasant they get a tip; if they don't then their tip was part of the all-inclusive payment I made. I tip the maid daily for such service - $2 U.S. equivalent per day (and I think I've always received service on my 'sun vacations' that deserved such a tip). If you leave it until the end it may be a different maid than the one who gave you most of your service (since the maid is not likely working 7 days a week).

But remember, tips are voluntary and are based on your own values and expectations. There is no right answer. But reading about how other people tip can help you arrive at an answer you feel comfortable with.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 23:19
Leesburg
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I will be there next week too...how exciting! When I called the resort, they said that tax, but not tip, is included in the AI plan at La Amada. Therefore, I would include tips at restaurants as you would if you were dining normally.

Peoria, IL
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I'll be there next week as well. So excited! So glad to see this thread--I didn't realize tips weren't included.

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at La Amada

Thank you for all the responses. Can you be more specific? I know the people at the hotel rely on tips for a good part of their income, so I want to tip well be not too much. At meals, is it 10, 15 %?? For others, what do you suggest?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I tip after each service. When I go to AIs, I normally tip the maid $3 a day, room service $3, and the bellman gets $3. We normally give $5 - $ 10 to the server for our sit-down meal. I tip $1 - $2 every other round.

I come from NYC, where the usual tip is 18 - 20 percent. Now that I know tips aren't included, I will probably tip $1 - $2 every round of drinks and $7 - $10 for the sit-down meal depending on the level of service.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. Tipping can be a sore subject for some people. I'm not passing any judgement at all. But everyone doesn't have the same idea of what's the right amount to tip.

To each, his own.

Leesburg
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I assumed since tip is not included, I would tip 15-20% at meals as if I was not on the AI plan...is that not what is expected?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at La Amada

I'll be tipping similar to what cat said. 15 - 20% of what the meal would have cost seems steep to me since I paid $160 for the day.

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at La Amada

Sounded fishy to me...cut and pasted from hotels.com AI discription (note the last line):

Inclusive Plan - Rate includes the following:

Accommodations as selected

Welcome drink and cool towel on arrival

Daily breakfast (buffet restaurant), lunch and dinner (3 à la carte dining options), and all snacks

Spa cuisine available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks

Unlimited international premium and domestic alcoholic beverages at 3 bars and 2 lounges

24-hour room service

Minibar stocked daily with water, juices, soft drinks, beer, and snacks

Pool and beach waiter service

La Amada Kids Club

Non-motorized water sports (Hobie Cats, windsurfing, sea kayaking, snorkeling gear, introductory Scuba-diving lesson)

Access to fully equipped fitness center

Twice daily housekeeping service

All taxes and gratuities

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at La Amada

Forgive me for perseverating on this topic, I just want to do the right thing by the workers. As the previous post mentioned, the tips are included. I have only been to 2 AI's and the tips were included in both but the reality was very different at each. At the first, tip included meant they charged you an additional 10% to your bill and split this with everyone- absolutely no tipping. The 2nd was awkward- some tipped and some didn't. I was hoping to have feedback from some of the people who have recently went and see how La Amada was handling this. Thank you for all the support.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres