We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Review

West Bloomfield...
4 posts
Save Topic
My Review

Going to post on the review portion too, but interested in discussion. Next year looking at Iberostar Grand, Secrets Maroma, ElDorado Royale, based on review below which should we steer towards...

Ok let me start by saying we were on our honeymoon, me 40 her 39. Been to Cancun before..

I'll bypass the normal stuff you see about PM on here, about the greeting with towels, etc etc.

Not overly busy when we went Apr4th to 11th, but 6 weddings. Loud music 3 of the 7 nights until 11p on the beach, etc...since they were having receptions, bon-fires (pre wedding) etc. Not a big deal to us, but can see how some older people may not want to hear lady gaga until 11pm. if you are in buildings by the beach, more of an issue than around the spa.

Scale of 1-10 (10 best)

Pools 10

Lots of great pools, great service when needing drink, no "real" need to reserve a chair unless there is some specific spot you "must" have.

Always something in sun or shade or both. Water never too cold...The pavement there is VERY slippery, amused by the amount of people that "nearly" killed themselves getting out of the pool, if you know this and be careful you are fine, if you take it for granted with sunscreen on smooth pavement you'll be doing the splits in no time. So many pools at this resort that we found the pool around the spa a day and a half into our stay...since this is the farthest from the beach (the low rent district) and closest to the spa we never hung around there, didn't seem a point when you have so many other great pools. Probably pretty quiet in buildings 1-6 since they are farthest from beach, swimup bar, activity at main pool.

Food 6

I'll justify that with some restaurants were a 9 and others a 4. Don't believe anyone there knows how to cook a piece of meat. If you like medium-well to well then you are set, but if someone orders medium rare and the other orders well and they both are exactly cooked the same you'll figure out how all meat is cooked. Especially when you stress this MUST be medium, with some pink in the center. Nope, no comprende I guess. Some restaurants were great. Service was always top notch at all places.... read several times about a wait at restaurants and the length of service. If you are going to eat at 8p to 9p then you may way 20-30min if you eat at 6p to 7p you will have no issues at all.

Rooms 9

the rooms are great looking. To address some reviews...YES you will here every plop plop toot toot in the bathroom from your partner, get use to it, if you haven't heard it before then you have issues, turn the ipod stereo or TV up. The TVs are not very good. NO HD feed? Really a 42" TV with mono audio and composite video feed? perplexed at that one. There is a wireless internet connection throughout resort, if you have laptop of phone you can connect...no charge. Nice! Many complaints about the hard beds and I agree with that. JW Marriott Cancun 10+ on comfort of beds...Excellence about a 5... I work out 5 times a week and neither of us have bad backs but after 1 night on those beds we were both stiff. We asked concierge for a topper and they provided a nice 4" thick egg carton topper which helped out greatly.

Roof Top Terrace 8

temp of water since that seems to be the question, great from 1p to 5p, cool (and refreshing) other times...wouldn't book again. We had 8137 which was a horrible spot (1st floor) directly across from grill so could hear lots of clanging of dishes on my not so private terrace. We asked for a room change and the next day we were in 9428...best room in the place! bar none. We saw a lot of roof top terraces where we would NOT want to be located...there are probably 75 of those types of rooms (guessing) and only about 10 that you'd be happy with location due to various reasons...proximity to restaurant, pool, etc...privacy, view, etc...If you must get one then it is a must that you get high rise building or you'll hear most conversations below.

Excellence Club 9

I rate it high because they do a great job in helping you, whatever your request they get it, the food is good, the bar is nice...very nice that you have 3 computers with internet and the whole rest of resort shares 4 computers in lobby (2nd floor)...so that is nice since never busy in EC. More drink waiters in beach and pool part of EC. But wouldn't pay for it again because didn't believe the price point was worth the value. $50-75 a day extra maybe, twice that...no way.

Beach 7

Nice, they do a nice job of getting the seaweed cleaned up, but the water isn't as blue as you would think, the water is always kind of rough, always windy, every day. PM does a good job of activities w/ hobiecat, kayak, beach volleyball, etc.

Nightlife 7

Again they do a nice job of trying. Kinda a dumbed down cruise ship. Cheesy stuff here and there but entertaining while sipping the free drinks. Michael Jackson show everyone mentions...not bad. My complaint is the guy sings like 2 songs and does a pretty darn good job. He has dance moves down (doesn't pop them quite hard enough), BUT the songs he lip synchs (more dance oriented) he has no ideas as to the words and it makes it annoying. If your job is to be an impersonator and lip synch you should be close to knowing all of the words to the song. Ticky tacky issue, but mine nonetheless.

Spa 5

That is generous. The marine wellness, free to honeymoon, anyone booking spa, etc... not worth your time. If you like bubbles blown on you and jets of water, great, but otherwise a waste of time. Got a couple hot stone pressure point massages and they were really really good. Wife works at a salon, she said not bad, but priced too high. Both got pedicures, yes I got one too for something to do while she did LOL, this was horrible. They used polish that was over 2 years old, applied to thick, bubbled and took 2+ hours to dry, painted cuticles, etc. She said ALL of their colors were over a year old, since the company puts out new colors every year she knows by looking at the palette the vintage of the polish.

Tipping

Service is so good here, it is a must. These people always have a smile and are always so helpful. They work minimum 12 hour days then shuttle back to a bus stop and go home (most of them), so to see a waiter you had for lunch in one restaurant you will always see that waiter in a different restaurant for dinner (same for brkfst/lunch). Everyone works for tips and they all go out of their way for you! Even the swimup bartenders will take wet dollars LOL!

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Maroma Beach...
13,371 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Cancun...
4,796 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
918 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Review

Good review and I liked how you gave everything a score, very useful. We'll be at EPM in 9 days time for a 10 day stay and I won't be getting a manicure or pedicure having read your comments. That will save me around 40 dollars I believe. We don't like to eat too early and accept that we may have a wait but there's always a bar open.

We have stayed at El Dorado Royale twice, in 2008 and 2009 and became hooked on Mexico as a result. Had booked EPM for April 2010 but the volcano messed up our holiday, hence the trip now. We found it too hot when we went in May and I didn't like the idea of a holiday as late in the year as Oct/Nov when it may be cooler. We decided on EPM because we thought it should offer the same as El Dorado but it was newer. We stayed in a standard room but felt they were in need of refurbishment. The other thing was unless you booked a Casita, (more expensive than EPM) then you had to take pot luck on the restaurants whereas the Casita people could book a time. As a result you did feel like a second class citizen in comparison. We did look round a Casita but although it was bigger and they also got more individual attention at the beach/pools, the rooms weren't that impressive. The restaurants were amazing though, gourmet dining and again the service was second to none. We tipped too as we felt that the staff couldn't do enough for you and it was well deserved. I was embarrassed to note that some other UK travellers never gave the staff anythiing but I guess we aren't so used to tipping as our fellow Americans.

Anyway, appreciated your honest review.

Mentioned in this post
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
El Dorado Royale, by...
11,301 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,688 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Review

Hi

Good review

We have been to EDR and stayed in a Casita and whilst we had a great time we would not return as the beach sucked and the main part pf the resort was showing it's age

We have now been to EPM 3 times and will be returning again this summer. As part of the trip we will also be having a look at SMB

IBG to us has no appeal which is why travel is so interesting as we are all different

Edited: 12 April 2011, 22:34
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Review

Great review, thanks

Houston
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Review

Thanks for your review. We will be at EPM for the first time in June. And RTT's are what sold us on the resort. Hoping to get one of the few private ones...

We have been to SMB in a swim out room and didn't think anything could beat the resort until we saw the RTT rooms at EPM. Service was outstanding everywhere. Staff bent over backwards to help. All we needed to do was ask.

We were avid IB fans until we found Secrets and the no reservation system!! Havent been to the IB Grand in Playa but we have been to two of the sister resorts next door (IB Lindo x 1 and IB Maya x 2) . And we have been to the IB Grand Bavaro in the DR. The bulter idea seemed nice but we didnt really end up using it much. We had excellent service but again the reservation system was a hassle. When paying that kind of money on vacation I dont want to be on a schedule. And that's why we are trying EPM this yr and not IBG in Playa. Hope this helps..

Angie

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Review

having been to erc and epm twice... hubbs and i are both meat people. in fact we dont eat any fish... we also only eat our red meat very well done... we never had any issues at either resort with the meat not being cooked well enough for us.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Review

Great review........good points of interest......the detail was so helpful. Although we didn't care for their cuts of beef...they always prepared our meat, rare to perfection, as we ordered.

I have to agree with Flip Flop, EDR...beach sucked big time! We had an

enjoyable stay and no major complaints, but won't return.

south jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Review

We have stayed at EPM and 2 times ERC. We are going back to EPM in Sept. We have also stayed at many other resorts in Mexico and everytime we say even though the resort is nice, we should have just gone back to Excellence. No other resort measures up to them in our opinion. Good review, but personally I woud give everything at least a 9 or 10.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Review

Thanks for the review.

Wales
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Review

Enjoyed your review - I had a great french manicure at EPM last year though! Much better than ones I have had at home.... I guess it mostly depends on the therapist - shame I've forgotten the name of the lady that did mine last time or I'd ask for her again when I go in a couple of weeks!

West Bloomfield...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My Review

Thanks for the comments, sounds like ElDorado and Iberostar are on reservation system at restaurants? that is a big turn off. Also the "class" sytem with Casitas doesn't sound good either...We really liked being able to come/go when we please and everyone treated the same. As a matter of fact we ate at 2 restaurants the same night (twice) since we ate at 7p one night the food was prepared so bad at the Grill we went to Barcelona...the other night we ate at Spice and about 9:30p I saw they had some ginger bbq ribs at Flavour Market so we stopped in there :) Funny they ask for your room number when you eat so the wife said, do you think they have record we come to more than one in a night and will contact us about what we didn't like at the first one?? LOL I told her some people may just like a dessert at a different one...no biggie.

Not a lot of food at any of the restaurants for dinner, so I usually ordered 2 dinners (I gained 10 pounds on the trip, but attribute to oh so good frozen drinks more than food). We would definately stay here again, just no EC and no RTT. Save a couple thousand and have just as fabulous of time.

Mentioned in this post
Casitas
Casitas
170 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico