We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Well we pretty much had decided on EPM(it came down to Epm vs Banyan Tree and at that time of the year BT is way too mosquito friendly...then we considered the Ritz in Cancun but they dont allow smoking on the balconies and terraces and dh and I still indulge so...)) but after reading the thread about the LaAmada and the concerns I've seen mentioned, Im wondering just how long one normally waits for dinner in the various restaurants. Im the type of person that if I make a reservation for 7pm and if im not seated by 7:15 Im not happy( as dh says...I missed the patience line when I was born ...lol). As I said in another thread we'd be there Sept 1st-5th which is labour day weekend so I imagine it'll be busy? We're definitely used to reservation restaurants...I've not gone to some popular restaurants 'round the world because I despise hour long waits.

So that said how does the dining work...I understand one cant make a reservation but could dh as an example go down to the restaurant at say 7pm and put our names down...do they give us a pager or are we just expected to sit there like bumps on a log?

Out of curiousity does anyone know why they dont take reservations? It seems to be a real time waster for the guests and not super efficent for the hotel either in that they wouldn't know what restaurants they need more staff for in a given night/ food ordering etc?

Edited: 27 November 2011, 09:05
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Hi Luckybee

You are right they do not take reservations, however if there is a wait they will provide you with a pager and let you know what the approx wait time will be.

In my experience having been to Excellence Resorts many times they do this as there is so many choices of restaurants and people do often change their minds on which restaurant to go to.

In all the time we have been we have never had to wait more than 45mins to get into any restaurant even at Xmas time when they are at 100% occupancy.

Anyway it gives you more time to sip those Cocktails in the Martini Bar!!!!!

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

The smaller and more popular restaurants have wait times for dinning times after 730pm. Some of the more popular restaurants like the Basmatti only have about 20 tables so wait times can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

With the new policy of allowing guests from the hotel next door to eat at the EPM restaurants, this will only add to the wait times.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Try to miss out any restaurant which was closed the previous evening

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Luckybee - we love that you do not need to make reservations. I would hate having to get up early and wait in a line to decide where I want to eat for several nights in advance. That's one reason we don't like some of the other AI.

They give you a pager if there is a wait. In our 3 previous trips to EPM and 1 to ERC. My husband and I figure that we have only been asked to wait handful of times and it was for maybe a half hour.

We usually have earlier dinners about 6:30 that leaves us plenty of time to enjoy the evening.

Just remember your on vacation so if there is an occasional wait indulge in another cocktail.

We are returning for our 4th trip to EPM next week. There are many TA posters who have been to Excellence resorts several times keep that in mind when weighing the opinions and advice posted.

Don't worry about this new promo with TBH. If you are really concerned just hold off on your booking to see if anyone reports any issues.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

I should add that we have eaten later a couple of times per week as we have been having too much fun or we have been off the resort for the day. We did not find that to be an issue. It does tend to be a bit busier as its a more popular time to eat so we make sure we go to the restaurant of our choice and get a pager if there is a wait rather than having a drink at the martini bar first.

Also you do need to make a reservation for the habachi (sp) table at Spice as its limited seating each night.

Hope that helps.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

I find the waits get longer the later it gets. The only issues we had last trip were the times we met new people at the martini bar before dinner and got talking. Before we knew it, it was past 7:30 and there were waits everywhere. A pager is given, but after 8 I have no appetite so do not enjoy dinner.

I love not having to make reservations, and hope this will not change. It is one of the perks that has kept us coming back.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

kerly - fun always gets in the way of dinner!!!! Good thing its when we are on vacation!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

LB,

Pagers work great, we never had more then a 20 min wait and if there a rush for an app, Spice may not be that crowded and serves Tapas, which if needed, can be an app before your main in a different restaurant. Of course Spice is great for dinner as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

1wink1

I wasnt looking at having to get up early and make reservations. Instead I was considering the same thing as "normal" restaurant reservations. In other words one emails/calls before arrival and makes the reservations one desires, and if the restaurant is booked then you make them elsewhere. It would never have crossed my mind to consider what you thought i was suggesting since I wouldnt do that or stay anywhere that had that knind of a reservation process (the properties that had that kind of a system were the 1st crossed off my list :)

But Im not getting why people wouldnt want reservations if they were"normal" reservations ? Is it just that people dont wish to decide where they want to dine until the day of which I guess i can see but Im so type A we always make our ressies in advance of our trips after I do my painstaking research...lol ...that way we know where we're dining every night and we dont have to think about it ...we just go at our reservation time , but again I'm not used to the a i thing...

ffm

LOL...does that mean I cant decide now which ones we'll dine at and which night? I've already narrowed them down ;)

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there usually lenghty waits for dinner at EPM ?

Luckybee - that's the only kind of reservation system I am aware of for AI resorts.

We still plan a bit in advance so we make sure we get to all of our favourite restaurants but not having reservations allows us the freedom to eat when we want to on that particular day and we can change our minds sometimes we decide we are in the mood for something else.

I am a big planner but that's part of the vacation that's good for me I can relax and just go with the flow. After experiencing EPM the way it is I would not want to make reservations of any kind.