We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

We are very saddened and upset to be told that our trip that was confirmed on Nov.3rd has been cancelled due to an administration error. My heart is broken, we just lost my Mom and this was a getaway for us.. Booked through Flight Centre, reps for Sunwing and they say we are out of luck. This would have been our 3rd Excellence exerience. I am devastated that a call to Excellence proved futile so I have no choice but to ask my daughter who is a lawyer to look into the legality of my contract confirmation. Has anyone else out there been cancelled at that last minute. Our trip was Dec., 30- Jan.13

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

Sorry to hear. Could you elaborate on the cancellation etc...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
899 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

It seems that this happens a fair bit with sunwing, I'm guessing it was them that cancelled due to lack of pax on your flight. Good luck getting this settled

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,091 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

If it was a flight cancellation, won't someone help you get another flight?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

I agree. I would think you would be able to arrange something out of DTW. Maybe you can try Funjet or Apple

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

Why don't you just rebook it with another tour company...there is still lots of other companies.

Airtransat is showing availablity from Jan 1s-15

Edited: 15 December 2011, 11:37
Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

This is quite curious. I too would like more details regarding the cancellation.

Had you paid a deposit or for the trip in full?

What was the companies reason for the cancellation?

Did you get a refund? If so don't fret just book with another company and enjoy your holiday.

Good Luck.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

Flight Centre is who we booked through. Trip is paid for and confirmd Nov.3rd. Hotel has no record of our booking they say and each is blaming the other. We have stayed at ERC and wanted to try the newer resort. My husband says the hotel is sold out.but I think they cancel people and resell at a higher price in the last few weeks. Something is rotten here and I am furious that the Hotel allows sell-off sites to represent them.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

The hotel is not to blame....resorts sell so many rooms well in advance to tour companies. You booked through a travel agent (Flight Center) who then booked you through a tour comapany (Sunwing).

It sounds to me like Flight Center never forwarded your booking to Sunwing and now they (Flight Center) can not book you for the same price you paid and are saying it was an administrative error (which it was).

I know it sucks but there are lots of seats available through other tour companies (Air Transat Vacations for one) that are available at that time frame but they will probably be a lot more than what you paid back in November.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

I guarantee this is a Sunwing issue. They cancelled our Christmas trip a few years ago less than two weeks from our date of departure. We were offered an alternative date two days earlier or our money back. This was how the entire family was planning to spend Christmas so we had no choice but to make the change. I would never book with Sunwing again.

As others have suggested just change to a different carrier. I am sure this has absolutely nothing to do with EPM. They just never received your booking because it was never made.

We just had a very positive experience to EPM with Air Transat and I would try them again. The plane seats were small but got Options plus and were able to get bulkhead seats.

Your travel agent should be getting this fixed for you. Go to them and kick up a fuss!!

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip cancellation - absolute disaster

I would say take it up with TICO for a start. It is very possible that the information never made it to the hotel let alone Sunwing from the sounds of it. Don't hold it against the hotel. Many resorts sell rooms to other carriers if they sell out there is nothing the hotel can do about.

Its a great resort don't miss out. Book with another company and use another travel agent. I use Sears Travel and they don't charge a fee when you book a package. Check with your local sears.

I am not sure where you normally fly from but sometimes flying from the US will save you some $ if cost is a concern.

I am still curious as to the reason they provided for the cancellation?