We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi! We've just booked our first trip to Mexico at EPM, can anyone give us a guide on how much we should tip during our stay?

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

This is a previous thread on tipping which you should find useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1229340-i12413-k3…

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Tyr this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1229340-i12413-k3…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

$2.00 for breakfast

$2.00 for lunch

$5.00 for dinner

about $7.00/day for drinks throughout the day

$2.00 for maid service AM

$2.00 for turndown service PM

$2.00 -- person who restocks the fridge/booze

Figure about $22.00/day X 7 days = $154.00

But then you also have about an additional $50.00 for trans tip to resort and then back to airport and luggage person and other "thank you's". Maybe the personwho makes the omlets/eggs at breakfast. We try to tip everyone that made our vacation special.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 19:15
Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Having both worked in the industry, we are big tippers compared to many others. I agree with a lot of Mattbeth but we tip $5 for lunch and if we really like them at dinner, they get $10. (Still way less then we would tip at home) Easily a $1 or $2 a round for drinks but we tend to tip big upfront sometimes so you don't have to carry around all the bills. These people don't make a lot of money so tips really help them out. Most of the staff at EPM are excellent and truly deserve a tip IMO.

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

I agree with jneil. I also tip $5 for lunch and $10 at dinner (assuming we were happy with the service). I sometimes tip $5 at breakkfast but not always. I also do a lot of tipping in advance and/or at start of each day for the maid ($5) and if I have the same server for drinks, I usually tip as the day goes on and at the end of the day. It is true, the staff does not make a lot of money and these trips are truly appreciated! I know a lot of people feel tips are included with the price if the trip, but if you think about what you would have paid at a non-AI, this really isn't costing you much in the sceme of things. We bring a $100 in 1's and other small bills to keep this simple.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Agree with dollar amounts................you spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, and these people are the ones who make it so wonderful.......be thankful and generous for what you are able to have and do.

UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

I was averaging about $15-20 day in tips but most folks were probably tipping less

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Tip what you can afford. For Brits there for 2 weeks I think it's impractical to tip at the level that someone there for 4 days would. Plus the EPM website explicitly states that tips are included.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

@ benjones789:

I don't see how many days you are at the resort matters when it comes to tipping. Unless you have a pre-set tip budget. We go on multi resort/week vacations and always tip the same if the service warrants it.

If I go out for a meal three times a week at home, I don't tip any less than if I went out only once during the week. The level of service may dictate how much you tip but not how often.

I think tipping is a cultural thing and depends on which country you hail from plays a big part of that.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Excellence Playa Mujeres

I think it does. Some people suggest tipping at $50 + a day which I think is impractical for a 2 week stay.