We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM and towel game

South Central PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
EPM and towel game

Thinking Excellence Playa Mujeres next February.Hate the towel game and was wondering if if occurs there.Wife is fair skinned and needs more shade then sun. At some resorts have had to get up before the sun to assure shade for her and then the "towel"people wouldn't show up until the afternoon! At Couples Negril now and its wonderful as there are lots of shade places and no towel games!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM and towel game

The towel game does happen at this resort as it does at every resort when the occupancy rates are High.

There were reports last week (the time frame you are thinking about) of all the shaded loungers being taken by 0730.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM and towel game

Unless things change by next February, you'll have to play the towel game if you want shade at EPM. I have a medical condition which limits the time I can spend in the sun, so I've had to play the game each morning (this is our fifth day here at the resort). By 9:00 am, even the unshaded areas of the beach are taken. The pool area is just as bad. I'm an early riser, so by 6:30 each morning I've reserved our palapa on the beach. Many of the prime locations are already taken even at that hour. If you're going to do EC, I'm sure a tip with the beach attendant will reserve you a spot. BTW, we don't abuse the system. We are in our chairs by 8:30 each morning. We have seen reserved spots left unoccupied for hours.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 13:32
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM and towel game

That said, there are tons of shaded spots all around the resort if you don't NEED to be around the pool bar. We have never had a issue getting shade. I usually am up by 7, though, and head down to to my preferred spot and read for an hour while hubby manages to make his way out of the room. We head for a quick breakfast, then back to our spot.

We are not the type to hold a spot then leave for hours on end, but we will slip in for a swim or take a stroll. We have been places where the so called towel game is much worse.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM and towel game

It is a really nice resort and we really enjoyed it but the downside is that the towel game is the worst of any all inclusive adult only resort I've been to and if you don't play along to some degree you will not get a spot in the shade. We never feel the need to grab a spot before breakfast on the beach at any other resort but I can't spend too much time in the strong sun here and need shade. If you don't need shade you should not have any problem getting a chair somewhere at any time of the day.

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM and towel game

i think this is what i'm not looking forward to the most.

i'm going to EPM in just over 2 weeks and expect to do what kerly said - i go early & read while hubby wanders down. i did that at an AI in aruba, i got a few strange looks, but whatever. i actually enjoyed that time a lot.

we have EC though so hopefully on that beach area it won't be too bad.

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM and towel game

Ok, I am here right now at EPM. By 6:30am all of the shade at the main pool was practically gone! We are used to the towel game at other resorts bit this is CRAZY. We have now set our clocks for 6am two days in a row. There are many pools here though and spots on the beach and I would rather be safe than sorry. This is a place for early risers. The line was breakfast was even forming yesterday before 8am.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM and towel game

Yes, the towel game is the most annoying habit at EPM; even in Club.

What galls me are the people who "hold" their spots from very early in the morning (i.e. 6:30 am) and don't show up until well after lunch (i.e. 2:00 pm) and become indignant and arguementative to an embarrasing point -- embarrasing for the staff, embarrasing themselves and making other guests feel awkward.

Surely management reads these postings. Please, do something that is "right" for every paying guest (sic: I got told plainly "I paid a lot of money to come here and this spot is mine....") ..... to wit my answer: "didn't we all??"

Level Contributor
892 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM and towel game

Is it considered towel gaming if you save a spot, go eat breakfast and come back?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM and towel game

Momsbusy: That's how I play the game. I don't think you can avoid the game if you need to have shade but, as Kerly said, there are shady areas and other pools around the grounds that are under-utilized. If you want or need a spot on the beach or by the main pool and lazy river, you have to play the game. I share Ottowa60's indignation about those who abuse the system.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM and towel game

Having just returned from the towel game at its worst, I found myself getting up early like Kerly said, to get a spot and I would sit there and read, drink my cappuccino, and enjoy the morning (it is quite beautiful on the beach at this time). We tipped the beach attendants (we were EC) but this did not ensure a spot, there were many days they would show up for work and all the shaded spot were taken before they got there. (Both Alex and Carolina are GREAT people and I really felt for them seeing this) Honestly, it was a big turnoff this trip to have it be so bad. I don't usually get up that early every day on vacation, but we LOVE the beach and this ensured us a seat with a view (albeit not always in the shade at that early hour) We met the people in the Honeymoon suites while we were there and after spending all that money (not an upgrade like some posters) they were VERY frustrated to have to play the towel game on the beach and I don't blame them (that room is gorgeous, by the way!) On the good note, very few would be gone for long periods of time, most were on the beach by 9/9:30. If seats were left empty for longer periods, the staff did remove the belongings. I watched it firsthand.