We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars or Pesos????

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars or Pesos????

Hi Everyone

We are coming to EPM in late August - can you please advise if I am best to bring Mexican Peso's or US Dollars to tip and buy general bits in and around the area?

Thanks

Beth

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Hi Beth, we're off in a fortnight, and I definitely was going to take us dollars, however, reading all the posts on here for the past few months, we are now going to take pesos. The main reasons are that we would be doubly losing in the change overs from pounds to dollars and then to pesos, ( apparently you don't get such a good rate from dollars to pesos) and the local people who you would be tipping use dollars as their currency, so they would loose out too when they changed over.

Hope this makes sense - I had some really horrible replies when I asked this question before!

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Staff usually prefer pesos. As wages are low in Mexico, a lot of Mexicans do not have bank accounts and it is difficult for them to exchange the tips they receieve in another currency. I have spoke to many staff during my trips to Mexico and they have all said they would never turn down a tip, they would prefer the currency of their country.

Pesos will also give you the best rate in purchasing goods in Mexico.

That said the staff also said they get 10% more when they receive a $5 US Tip rather than a 50 peso tip, so they are torn between the hassle of the exchange and the greater tip amount.

I always use the money of the country I am visiting, it teaches you a new currency and you immerse yourself in the culture of the country you are visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Thanks webbie and 5stars - super helpful - peso's it is then, which is what I took when I went to Puerto Vallerta, but being totally different locations I was unsure what would be best - thanks for the advice!

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Have a great vacation!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

We always use USD$$. The staff loves any thing you share with them!!

6. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2012, 14:21
Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Beth - check out www.travelmoneymax.com which will give a long list of rates (both delivery and collection).

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

@ieemc - that's a great site! Thanks for sharing!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Thanks @ieemc - I was on it this morning! Great site.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollars or Pesos????

Just ordered via that site and got both protected rate and guarantee that if the rate improved when we collect then I'd get the higher rate. plus it was a lot better rate than m& s etc where we would normally get our currency from. Thanks again! Going to bookmark for future use.