We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

glasgow
Level Contributor
130 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

I know there’s loads of this in the forums but I’m struggling to decide whether to return to Secrets Maroma Beach – which we LOVE - for a third time or try out Excellence Playa Mujeres.

we’d love to try somewhere new but I’m scared of it not comparing favourably to somewhere we already love…

It’s a toss up between a preference club swim up at SMB or a roof terrace room at EPM.

I love the look of the roomS at EPM but am unsure about some of the other stuff mentioned in reviews. Particularly about service not being great – we don’t want to move off our loungers to get drinks if we can help it!

So, for anyone who’s done both, can you help answer these questions please:

• How do the EPM restaurants compare with SMB? Choce/quality/service?

• I’ve read a lot about poor poolside and beach waiter service at EPM…is SMB better?

• What’s better – a swim up at Secrets or a Roof Terrace at EPM?

• At EPM can you order food from wait staff at the beach/pool the way you can at Secrets?

Any help much appreciated!

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

We have been to all three secrets and both Excelence resorts along the Riviera....I would not have any problem recomending EPM as an alternative to SMB. The beach is not as nice but everything else is on par or better.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

Hi

We have done a day trip to SMB and have been to EPM 5 times now

SMB is a great resort on a wonderful beach but personally we much prefer the decor and resort layout at EPM. To us the rooms as SMB just lacked something and we did not like that fact that all the main pools are on one area. Much prefer the pool layout at EPM, SSS & ERC where they are scattered through the resort

Although you do see the odd report of poor drinks service a EPM the majority of people seem more that happy with it

We found the food and service to be on a par

To us the RTT's at EPM are very special indeed

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

Dear picky.... we were in the same exact situation a couple of years ago.... we had been to SMB twice and were trying to decide if we should go bak again or try EPM..... we decided to do a split stay and went to SMB and then transferred over to EPM.... since then we have been to EPM 6 times and going back next month for number 7, we have not returned to SMB.

As you know, SMB is a very nice place.... BUT.... IMHO EPM is superior in "almost" every way.... yes it's the beach, not as spectacular as SMB but still very nice.

To answer your questions....

yes you can order food / drinks almost anywhere and definitely at the pools and beach.

The pool and beach service has already been addressed in the previous post and I concur.

The rooftop terrace rooms IMHO are much nicer thn the swimups at SMB... no comparison..... just blows them away.

Now the restaurants ..... there are more of them.... they are much nicer, meaning larger and less crowded because of it and nicer decor IMO, the two oceanfront restaurants at EPM are, unlike SMB, actually oceanfront restaurants right on the sand..... and the food IMHO is far better at EPM.... but remember, food is very subjective as everyone has different tastes.... in addition the Excellence Club itself is nicer at EPM than the preferred club at SMB, the club itself and the EC areas at the beach and pool. All in all, you cannot go wrong with a test drive at EPM.... you can always go back to SMB but my prediction is that you may decide not to.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

Hi again

If you are going for 14 nights why not spend a week at each

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

Same situation here. Wife and I have been to SMB twice. Stayed in Preferred Club both times with the second being Ocean Front. It will be very very hard to beat but the wife and I are already booked at EPM for next April.

After reading 100's of posts from 5stars, flip_flopman, mattbeth, and others I have a very good feeling we will be using EPM to set the bar for future travels!

Cant wait only...... 246 more days to go!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

Funny - we were deciding just the opposite. We love EPM and were considering going to SMB. We were thinking of doing a 'split' trip - but with small children, we can only get away for a week at a time, and it was very cost prohibitive to do a couple nights at SMB and the rest at EPM.

If you are going for longer than 10 days, I'd strongly suggest, as others have, doing a 'split' trip... that way you know you're going to a place you love (SMB), and can still check out a new place!

@ Bowling_guru - you beat us by 9 days. We have 255 to go!!! How long will you be at EPM?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

EPM is not perfect and will not everyone but it does seem to fit the needs of many people and has loads of repeat guest. One of the things I do like about it is each time you go back somethings have changed

We are glad we have stayed 5 times so far but we are also glad we have either visited or stayed at a lot of other resorts as well. Going back to the same resort for every trip without trying new places to us would be boring

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

@1travelinman

We will arrive at EPM Friday March 29th and will be staying until Sunday April 7th.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
407 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

we stayed at SMB last year. i agree, it is hard to beat, but we did not come away with the feeling that is so often expressed on this forum & in reviews about EPM. There was something missing for us. I still can't put my finger on it. The resort was fantastic. Just a personal thing.

There are so many people who come back to EPM over and over again. The general overall opinion is that the resort is excellent, with a very small percentage not having a great time. Personally, I wanted to try something different, and based upon what i have read, i know we will have a great time. will we be one of the return visitors? we will wait & see!!!

south jersey
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me decide! Stick with SMB or give EPM a try???

We have been to both Excellence resorts 2 times. this Sept. we are going to SMB. Our travel agent talked me into it. I hope we are not wrong!