We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days off work do you take after vacation?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How many days off work do you take after vacation?

Hi,

I have to book my holidays for the year in September, and my brother is saying I should take 2 or 3 extra days to "recover from the vacation." His exact words are: "You're going to be so spoiled in Mexico that it's going to take a few days to adjust to normal, trust me."

We're leaving Saturday - Saturday, if I take the following Monday and Tuesday when I get back off, that seems plenty of time to sort myself out. Anyone else take extra vacation after EPM? Or just dive back in to the workforce? :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

We usually go for 10 nights and try to fly home on a Saturday then go back to work on Monday. As much as I would like to take more time off, once I am home and not in paradise anymore, my mind would be racing about how much the emails and such are piling up at work!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

Travelling Saturday to Saturday and having Sunday to do laundry, run to the grocery store, etc. then I'm good going back to work on Monday and saving that vacation day. I do like going Sunday to Sunday so I have the Saturday before to make sure I have everything and make those last minute sunscreen and plane snack runs and such. Once I accrued more vacation days I would take the following Monday off so I would have the following Monday off to do the laundry, errands and sleep past 6. If I only had the omelet bar at home that first day back would be almost perfect... well, except for no beach... etc. etc.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

I'm not sure it's about being spoiled....ours is more of an adjustment from all the alcohol, food and lack of sleep. We always take at least 3 days off after returning home from Mexico. Some other destinations require longer lounging periods.

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

People take days off after vacation?

My husband and I go back to work on the ride to the airport....if not sooner.

Unfortunately neither of us has ever had a vacation when we weren't answering emails/voicemails/working. That would be wonderful.

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

This year we will be going from Wed to Wed and will be arriving back home in St Louis at like 1 PM I beleive. And will drop my wife off at home and driving to work and will be putting in at least 8 hours only to turn around at 7 Am the following morning for 8+ more it the only way i can get 7 days off in a row. We normally only able to get 5 off. So this is special circumstance.

Wish we had the vacation time to take a day or two to adjust back to reality. I am jealous of those that can.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

My wife and I are now going for 10 nights. We go Monday until the following Thursday. Whole weekend off prior to going is very convenient for anything we may have forgotten. On our return, we take off the Friday and then have the entire weekend to "return to earth". LOVE doing it this way!! Very happy our jobs allow us to do this!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

I work on vacation as well as not. It's unfortunate but a necessary evil. I try to do as little work as possible while away.

When I had a "regular" job I always took a day or two extra after vacation to decompress, get groceries and ready myself for the rat race again.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 02:04
Bowie, md
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

We stay as long as possible at EPM, heading back to work within 24 hours of our return. Missing the resort & going through awful withdrawals! But back to work means there will be a "next" trip to Excellence!!!

Victor, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

When we travel, we try to come back on a Friday so that we have the weekend to get caught up on laundry/work emails/etc. I envy those who can go right to work the next day - I just know I'll never be one of them!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days off work do you take after vacation?

I always try to have at least two full days off before returning to work. A few times I've had 3 or 4 days off. I work 12 hour shifts, and have to work every other weekend, so I have more days off during the week. Once I tried going back to work after only one day off, but facing that 12 hour shift after not working for 10 - 14 days is a little too much for me. Hubby usually has one day off before returning, but then again he's not doing the unpacking, laundry, and grocery shopping so I don't feel bad for him.