We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A different tip

Hartford...
2 posts
Save Topic
A different tip

I want your opinion on a different kind of tip. I'm talking about gratuities. I have a pile of silver bullion pieces, 10 grams each, worth about $9 US, which I use as tips. I have used them on cruiseships to a mixed reception. I think they are a unique and interesting tip. Others disagree. What do you think at the EPM? Will they be met with amused appreciation or tolerant annoyance?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A different tip

Matthew, honestly? I think this would be seriously disappointing for the staff, particularly as they are on a low wage and depend on the tips as income rather than as an added bonus. It would be like your employer choosing to pay you in bullion one month rather than cold cash. I don't think it would effect the level of service you receive, but I don't think it would win you any supporters either.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A different tip

I cannot see too many staff getting excited about them

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A different tip

If they are worth $9 US, why don't you sell them and use the money for tips.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 11:52
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A different tip

Cash is king.....I agree with the above posters, I don't think the staff would appreciate them. Just the hassle of the staff trying to figure out what is was and then the hassle of finding a place in Mexico that would accept them would make them not wanted.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A different tip

It is certainly better than a Canadian we met in Cuba who got a great kick out of using tire money to tip

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,477 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A different tip

Bullion is better than Canadian Tire money but it's not exactly easy for the recipient to use to put food on the table.

As noted by Webbie, to the recipient, tips are an important part of their income, not some novelty or conversation piece. If you want to give the bullion or a gift in addition to a tip, go ahead (although some, including myself would argue the appropriateness of that too) but please, don't let anything take the place of a monetary tip.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 13:26
New York
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A different tip

I agree with everyone else...cash is appreciated alot more.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,594 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A different tip

The local workers will likely only want to find a way to convert them to cash as quickly as possible. So they likely would take far less than their value just to get their hands on cash. Give cash.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,690 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A different tip

Any foreign coin is extremely hard to cash

10. Re: A different tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 March 2013, 18:49