We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM First timers.. finally here!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
EPM First timers.. finally here!

We have arrived! After many many months of great anticipation and constantly stalking the TA threads about this great resort, we arrived last night after our 4 night wedding g cruise with over 70 family and friends seriously needing some quiet relaxing time together. I did not plan on doing a live from, but we felt it would be useful to everyone else reading to know how OUR experience has been thus far. Quick background on us for reference... we are very experienced cruise fanatics, and this is our first high end all inclusive resort visit.

Arrival at the airport was.... awful. Our 2 hr flight from Miami was delayed, our landing was delayed, and once off the plane it took nearly an hour and a half to get through customs and security....but we kept calm and pushed on talking about how great everything would soon be amazing and eventually made it out the airport...3 hours later than planned.

We booked a private transfer through lomas travel, and despite our delays they were absolutely on point. A rep was waiting with a sign with my name on it, and in minutes we were in an air conditioned private escalade on our way to epm. (By the way, weather has been rough...cloudy and rainy since we've been here)

Arrival was nice, security gates make you feel safe, everything was very professional. Cool towels and champagne as we walked into the lobby. Our room request for 7b could not be honored, but no big deal we are in 8 roof top Terrance...very happy with the room. I was slightly disappointed however that the room was very hot (no big deal just run the ac for a while and its fine) we had champagne in a bucket and fruit on our table, but it was not iced down at all, no one likes warm champagne. (Maybe I was wrong to expect the champagne to be on ice, but we are easy going and its not a deal breaker)

After so much delays at the airport, we were very hungry and went straight to dinner at spice. A short 10 min wait with drinks in our hands and we had a table for two. Sushi and hot sake, grouper for me, tempura for the wife.... delicious. My beer was refilled without asking and I'm loving it. We ordered dessert (just ice cream) and after waiting for about 30 min... we felt very ignored. Seemed like our service dropped rapidly, drink refills never came, dessert never came. The bar is around the corner so we left to grab drinks and walk around the resort some.

Back to our room and the turn down was nice, but still no ice. I called to ask where the machine is after walking around aimlessly for a while was told I would have ice brought to me soon, but the machine is on floor 1 for future reference. Waited 20 min, still no ice so I got my own... not a big deal to me I just really wanted o make a drink. I got a call from front desk to confirm I had the ice delivered, but sadly I didn't have a knock on the door yet...I told her it was not a big deal because I already got it myself and it was really not a big deal at all. After I made my drinks the ice arrived so now I had plenty :)

Ordered late night room sevice and that took atleast an hour, and the food was seriously disappointing.

So far everything today has been great... breakfast at toscana and now beers delivered on our terrace with limes. Weather cloudy and super humid, but service and food has been outstanding today! Beer in my hand that needs some attention to off I go to enjoy it all. We are very easy going people so none of the minor huccups have upset us at all, but we wanted to share an honest description of our experience so far. The resort is beautiful and can't wait for what's in store! Cheers!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

great to read another 'live from'. How long are you there for?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

Thank You for your honest report. We've been to many AI's and never have had one hit it out of the ballpark on every item, but like you we are very laid back and go with the flow. Enjoy your vacation!

Charlotte,NC
Level Contributor
648 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

Sorry to hear you got off to a rough start! I hope things are improving for you!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

@ Jop - Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Great first report.

I know you are laid back, but if you find things aren't right, I'd say something. This place strives to take good care of you and if you don't have chilled champagne or they are taking too long or ignoring you, say something. They will make it right. I know some people don't like to do that, but you paid a lot of money to be pampered, so you should be!

It's your honeymoon dude - they should be treating you like king and queen!

Looking forward to more updates!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

tuesday- Horrible weather all morning and pouring rain. First trip to the breakfast buffet and there really are no words....so much to choose from and its all delicious. Omlets are amazing.

After breakfast we went to the room and ordered multiple buckets of pacificos with lime (thanks to the suggestions here) and got the drinking started. After many beers the weather was still too cloudy to warrant using our roof top pool, unfortunately.

Lunch was at the lobster house...excellent service, excellent food, and even more beers. We had onion rings, buffalo wings, fajitas, and fish of the day tacos. The tacos and fajitas don't come with much on them, but tasted amazing. My wife loves lettuce, asked our server for some lettuce and quickly had that delivered to our table without a problem.

By this time the weather was still cloudy and light rain so we ended up passing out for a couple hours after all the beer/food. Life is rough here ;p.

Dinner.....dinner was incredible. We decided on making it an extended dinner experience with multiple restaurants and bar stops in between. First stop was Martino bar for an hour, my wife fell in love with the godmother martini, I drink whiskey on rocks. First stop was flavor market, Francisco was the best waiter we've had yet. So friendly and positive. We asked for 3 cold and 3 hot tapas, at his recommendation. We were blown away, the glazed chicken and blue cheese steak were the best! Back to the martini bar for whiskey and martinis, then went to agave. Lobster tacos, habenero shrimp, churros, margaritas, more lobster tacos... bliss. The service again was excellent. After dinner it was back to the bar for a drink, then to the theater for the comedy/magic show. I personally thought the guy was hilarious...but I like sarcastic humor. We did see people leaving after a little while tho. More whiskey, more martinis, and repeat... what a fantastic day. Today should be better weather, but has been sprinkling all morning so far. Hoping to get my first iceberg at the pool shortly. Cheers!!!

Grove City...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

@ Jop if you go back to the Grill for lunch try the shrimp fajitas. They were just awesome !!! Sucks about the weather should clear up. Go to the pool what the heck you're going to get wet anyway's I wouldn't let some clouds and a little rain stop me. Enjoy it you have to try really hard to not enjoy the day at EPM. My wife and I enjoyed it so much we booked again for 2 weeks next year instead of 10 day's.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 17:29
North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

Go sit in the hot tube with a couple of bloody mary's... You won't even notice the rain...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

Sounds like a great night Jop - Hope the weather clears up for you and sounds like you're getting much better service! Hopefully you got your first iceberg today!! Those are the best!

Cheers!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

1travelinman - what is in an iceberg? Unfortunately we just came back from ERC and I totally forgot to try one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
826 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM First timers.. finally here!

It's a beer with a frozen margarita on top!!