We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres

We are debating between Excellence Playa Mujeres and "The Royal" in Cancun for a friend's 40th birthday next year. We've been to Secrets Maroma and Iberostar Tucan and each beach was nearly flawless. I've heard the beach at EPM is not that good and we are beach people so we do not want to be disappointed.

Can anybody shed light on either resort? The beach obviously is very important but any comments are welcome.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi

We are heading back to EPM for a 6th time next June

If you check out my online album on SlickPic you will find several albums for the resort that should give you a good feel for the resort and the beach

http://www.slickpic.com/u/flipflopman

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

We have been to the IB Tucan several times and other resorts around the Riviera Maya. For us, nothing else has matched the beach at the IB Tucan and jungle area, but the hotel itself has become dated & food the last time we were there was very disappointing. We are trying the EPM for the first time in Sep & from the pictures it looks amazing and sounds like the staff do a good job of maintaining the beach. You have also got the choice of catching the ferry to Isla Mujeres to soak up the rays on Playa Norte too.

Have a lovely holiday wherever you choose.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks Flipflop.

Any information you can provide on EPM would be greatly appreciated. I am having problems viewing your pics. Looks like you travel quite a bit!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

lueven74,

Yes, I actually got married at the IB Tucan in June. It was a terrific experience. We chose that resort because we had a large group and many children that came down and it worked out really well. Normally, my wife and I travel as a couple and I probably wouldn't go to IB Tucan again unless there were children involved.

The trip we are scheduling will probably be late April/early May and be for three couples. My friend's wife has narrowed down her selection to the two resorts I mentioned. I would prefer to stay at an Excellence but not at the expense of not having a beautiful beach with wonderful water. I am in the ocean or on the beach most of the day and bad water (like I experienced in Montego Bay one vacation) can ruin the experience. Hence my questions about these qualities.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Paul, we have been to EPM several times, and have experienced a beautiful beach 99% of the time. One trip a couple of years ago, a storm at sea brought som sea grass but it was gone the next day. It is not 7 mile beach in Negril, but we found it lovely. The water itself waS warm, calm and had a sandy bottom. The beach is private, so no vendors etc.

Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

My husband and I have been to The Royal and we will be experiencing EPM over NYE. I'll be sure to post my review for you when we get back. We really loved The Royal - the fact that all the rooms had stunning ocean views already is a huge plus in my mind. Service and food were excellent. It'll be tough to beat.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

We have stayed at both and if it is about "the beach", I would select, The Royal. The beach at EPM cannot compare. If you were pool people, I would recommend EPM. I would also agree with lostinmadrid, that all the rooms have much, much, better views at the Royal. EPM has ocean view rooms but no ocean front...stunning at the Royal. The service, staff and rooms are excellent at both.

I enjoyed pre-check-in, at the Royal, from your computer. It was an added bonus to be able to select your room before arrival and before you departed home. Not a big deal, just convenient and an added bonus.

Level Contributor
892 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

We are beach people and we love the beach at EPM! Great for walking, lots of palapas, grilled food, drink service, and lots of fun people. We've been to the beautiful Maroma Beach, and enjoyed it, but we'll return to EPM.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thank you to everybody who has responded. Any additional information would be great as we are close to making a decision. Keep it coming!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

We have been to SMB and EPM and we will not return to SMB , but, will continue to vacation at EPM again in Feb 2013 and Sept 2013....

Can' t compare the 2 resorts....

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres