We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

denver
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

Looking at one of the recent reviews for EPM, the reviewer spoke of returning to EPM for 31 days. I cannot even imagine going for that long. That said, I think the people we have met from the UK and the rest of Europe who go for a fortnight have it right. We in the US typically make our vacations too short. That said, I don't know that I could be on vacation at a place like EPM for more than 10-12 days without really wanting to be home. What is your max length for a stay? 365 days :)?

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

No way could I stay at any one all-inclusive for 31 days. I think a week to 10 days would be the max that I could stay AI without switching resorts, and about 2 weeks is the most I can handle being away from home. I am really a homebody that loves to get away for a little while, but that is it.

New York
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

considering I have never been on vacation for more than 6 days I couldn't even fathom being on vacation for a month.

that being said..If I did have the opportunity to be on vacation for that long..I would do what flipflop does and spend it at a few resorts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

if i didnt have cats at home maybe. i cant even imagine leaving children for that long.

i could do 3 weeks i think tops. but if we moved at least once maybe 2 weeks at one 2 at another i could.

yeah i think most US vacays are a week

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

We have done a max of 14 nights, 4 at ERC followed by 10 at EPM. It was nice but seemed kind of long. Maybe since both were Excellence and everything so similar?

We have booked 12 nights for later in the year. Going to try SMB for 4 and EPM 8 nights. Hopefully the 2 different chains will be a nice change. One thing that does make it fun is all the lovely couples we have met at EPM over the last 4 years. We socialize with many sharing some laughs at the pool then meet for dinner and drinks some nights. Many return the same time each year.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

" i cant even imagine leaving children for that long."

You obviously don't have children! ;-)

Two weeks at an AI would be about my limit but longer vacations (4 weeks+) are easy peasy if you're moving around (e.g. Europe).

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

@ Frank - We were thinking about doing the same on our upcoming trip, but we can really only be gone a week with our small children at home. It didn't make sense to maybe do 3 nights @ SMB then 4 @ EPM... maybe when the kids are a little older we'll do 10 days and do a split then.

Our first trip to EPM was when there was the Icelandic volcano that erupted disrupting tons of air travel in Europe. We met this young group of people that had been 'stuck' at EPM for 18 days. I think they were supposed to be there for 14, but because of flight cancellations, had to stay an extra 4.

I don't think my body could take much more than 10-14 days anyway!

denver
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

LOL Llisa, yes, there are definitely times when 31 days seems like a short time to be away.

Our actual countdown is 23 days (for a 5 day stay).

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

Yeah my body would not handle the alcohol and rich foods for much longer then 7-10 days. I eat and drink much heavier when I am away from home like that. I doubt my cloths would fit by the end of the 2nd week. I start so many bad habits while on vacation it takes me a week just to adjust back to my normal routines.

I enjoy the 5-6 day trips. Ususally by day 5 I am starting to think about home and work etc and am ready to go home. My wife likes the 7 days trips. She finds them to be the perfect amount of time away.

But I suppose if I am flying over from Europe I would spend more then a long weekend too. So i get the 2 week stays for them.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 19:33
Boston...
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

Our trips are usually 10 nights. This time around we are staying 4 nights on Isla and moving to EPM for 10 nights. September can't get here fast enough!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 31 days? Not a countdown, but a question...

Coming from the UK, we usually stay 14 nights in Mexico. This year we have opted for an 11 night stay since we do not plan to do any excursions with the exception of a hop over to Isla - just plenty of lazy days for some R&R..Any longer and I think cabin fever might set in :-) Money saved not booking those extra nights has meant a week in Barcelona Spain for the F1 in May !!

Roll on September cannot wait for EPM !