We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code Question

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dress Code Question

I feel like I can pull myself together fairly nicely - but I have in my Mexico pile a few fancier t-shirts that I was planning to wear with skirts. Women will know what I am talking about - a short-sleeved shirt but with some embellishment on it - a tunic top or some ruffled edges - but they ARE just cotton, not silky shirts. Is this going to be an issue at the evening restaurants? I'm bringing a few dresses, as well. I'd class them as "mid-range shirts" - the type of tops you can either dress up or just wear with capri pants (which I see are also acceptable for women during the evening.) I'd be really embarrassed if I was asked to change, so please let me know if I'm good to go here.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code Question

Everything you mention is perfectly fine...... BTW, ladies can wear "just about" anything they want... period.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code Question

Thank you, Mattbeth! I just pursued the Dress Code guidelines and noticed it said women couldn't wear t-shirts for dinner. I wanted to plaintively whinge: "But these are NICE t-shirts with a skirt! Please let me in!"

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code Question

IME, with respect to the ladies dress code, it's not so much what you're actually wearing as the overall impression. If you're wearing a ratty T tank-type shirt and capris that look like you've slept in them, well, that's not going to cut it. However a nice tank maybe with some sequins or embellishments on it, some smart capris, some sparkly earrings, maybe hair in an updo and a bit of makeup, well, the overall impression is quite different.

I know many women don't like wearing heels but your footwear can have a big impact on the overall look of an outfit too.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code Question

Tara... worry not, you will be fine in everything you have described.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code Question

With some of the skirts these days the only thing you can do is pair it with a t-shirt and tank top. I've done it many times and have even worn $5 tanks/tees from old navy with a dressy skirt.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code Question

Let's put it this way: if you would not wear it at a restaurant at "home" don't wear it while on vacation.

I bring/wear "elegant t-shirts" (with or without "bling" on them): Michael Kors, Ellen Tracey, Claiborne, Versace, with a linen or crinkle cotton skirt or linen pants and sexy wedge sandals, along with jewels (lots of local big silver and bead necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings).

You can dress up casual wear -- just remember: if you would not wear it at "home" please, don't wear it anywhere else.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code Question

Has anyone seen a woman turned away from dinner at EPM for not wearing something that is not dressy enough? I'm just curious because, at SMB, I saw a wide range of outfits in the restaurants. For example, a jeans skirt and bedazzled tank top. Or cotton capris and a t-shirt with appliqués of seashells. Some women did wear pretty dresses. All fit the rules of the dress code, yet some people would frown on the choices.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 03:57
Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code Question

Ignore my question please! I was reading in "newest first" order on my phone and missed mattbeth's first reply. That answered my question. My phone is not letting me edit my post properly either.

9. Re: Dress Code Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:15