We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM-club level or not?

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
EPM-club level or not?

Hi- I have totally enjoyed reading all the info on the Riveria Maya. This will be our first time to Mexico and I am booking the EPM today or tomorrow. We are going for our 20th wedding anniversary in mid-June and I have poured over TA and the forums. My husband is not a big travel guy and it is a little out of his comfort zone to go out of the USA. But I have convinced him that it will be worth it. We have been to Jamaica, almost booked The Caves this time around but cost was a factor and we were in Jamaica on our honeymoon. Our typical vaca is with our 3 kids to the Charleston, SC area which we love but this is a big deal and a big trip for us.

We narrowed our choice to EPM- after much debate and just want total relaxation, maybe a trip to Isle Mujeres but that is it. If we do the club level most likely 5 nights and 6 days, non-club: 6 nights, 7 days...not doing the RTT. Just curious as to any well seasoned peeps who travel often, what would you do? We def. enjoy good liquor and cocktailing...

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM-club level or not?

We book EC, pretty much solely for the view. If I had to choose between 5 X EC nights and 6 X non-EC nights, I would choose non-EC to stay longer.

This is a wonderful resort for rest and relaxation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM-club level or not?

For us, it was worth it and we plan to do so again.

Here is a breakdown of what was included and my thoughts :

Fresh flowers in room on arrival: keep your expectations low.

Fresh fruit and petit fours: Ditto.

Private check-in/check-out: Could be an advantage if there is a crowd.

Private concierge: We never saw him/her. We were on the 4th floor and his/her office is apparently on the 1st floor. We dealt with the staff in the EC lounge instead.

Express room service menu: Didn't order from it.

Upgraded in-room premium liquor and wine bottle selection: "Premium" is subjective...

Sparkling wine upon arrival: Very nice.

Aqua Wellness Spa Treatment: Didn't do it but most people rave about it.

Private beach and pool areas: We used one or the other every day, sometimes both! The main pools were often too cold to swim in, but the Club pool was heated.

Private lounge: We used that almost every day. They have nice snacks (sweet/savory, hot/cold). Extensive selection of top shelf liquor. Computers with internet access. Great lattes and cappuccinos.

To recap, things that made it worthwhile for us :

Heated private pool

Private beach

Club Lounge

Room location/Ocean views

Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM-club level or not?

My wife is sold on the EC beach. She feels its worth the upgrade alone to have someone make up your chairs or bed with towels in the morning, and change them up, when you go for lunch.

I, believe it or not, appreciated the upgrade of in room booze!

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
87 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM-club level or not?

we have been to epc and erc as non ec guests however this time we want to feel extra special with the additional things as we are going to be on our honeymoon at epm so we have decided to go ec. it does add to the cost although if we didn't do it we would be left wondering whether it would of been worth doing.

all down to personal opinion - have a think about if those things noted on the other posts would be of beneift to yourselves against how much it costs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM-club level or not?

We stayed in the club section in Punta Cana, we have chosen to go non club for our upcoming stay for the following reasons:

Private check in - we actually waited longer to be checked in at the club lounge than we would have done at the front desk.

Fruit - I think our fruit plate was 2 apples!

Bubbly - nice, but wasn't chilled

Petit fours - showed up some nights - perfectly pleasant, but a couple of chocolates do not make or break a holiday

The wellness spa treatment was good - but you can purchase this separately if it is something you would like to do (and I think I probably will do).

Room service, didn't use

Liqor in room - was fine, but not 'top end' (Absolut vodka, not Belvedere / Grey Goose, for example). from reading you get Smirnoff in the regular rooms (our liquor store charges the same for both).

Concierge - the main resort concierge was the one we saw the most, not a club one.

Lounge - we went in a few times because it was there, but I wouldn't miss it. There was plenty of food and top shelf alcohol elsewhere. Had our phones / tablet so didn't need a computer. Don't drink coffee!

Private pool - not applicable in the DR

Private beach - it was nice, but I only had my bed made up for me a couple of times [and when I say made up, they laid out a towel and tucked it in] (the rest they just handed us towels) and they didn't change the towels when we went for lunch etc. The beach waiter service was nice, but I understand that is available on the non EC beach too.

So while some of the things were nice, they were not $1000 a week nice IMO. I'd stay (and am staying!) the extra time rather than go club.

denver
Level Contributor
215 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM-club level or not?

Having just come back, I would love to have been there one more day, but work schedule did not allow. Take the extra day.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM-club level or not?

We are heading back to EPM in 12 days and booked non EC room this time because we felt staying an extra day was more valuable to us the extra amenities. We stayed in an EC room in November 2011 and the only thing we are certain we are going to miss is the EC area of the beach. We spent most of our days on one of the four poster beach beds and really enjoyed the extra service and quietness of the area. Actually, that is where we are in our profile picture. All of the other things mentioned in the preceding posts were ok but not worth the extra night for us. Either way you will have a great time.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 23:04
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM-club level or not?

This will be our third trip to EPM and we have gone EC every time. We personallly like the private pool area, beach and lounge. While the view is not the best in the swim-up rooms (which we prefer), I hear that the views are better on the other floors. You will have some perks with EC that you dont have otherwise (as mentioned above). Either way you go, the service at EPM is great and the people wonderful. However, if money is an issue, then go non-ec and stay a couple extra days!!!! Please pm if you have any questions.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM-club level or not?

This will be our fourth trip to EPM... Have stayed 11 days each time... Have never felt the need to upgrade at this resort. Everyone is treated wonderfully, and the rooms inside are identical.have found service around main pool and on main beach to be excellent.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM-club level or not?

Thanks everyone! I am so looking forward to our trip. Booking today..:) so cold and snowy in central Ohio, I wish we were leaving now!! Going to go the non EC route and do the extra day! At this point would rather have an extra day than some of the other things that the EC offers. I am sure as time gets closer, I will have more questions.