We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence P M vs Valentin

Mobile, Alabama
6 posts
Save Topic
Excellence P M vs Valentin

So what are the biggest differences in these two resorts? We're looking in October and the prices are basically the same. From what I've been able to gather, the beaches and water are probably better at VIM and the food and service better at EPM. Is that true and are the differences very significant?

Thanks for your help!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

I haven't stayed at EPM but my gut feeling is that it's a step up from the VIM, albeit not a huge one. It's usually priced higher too.

If they're priced the same and you can't see any obvious, significant differences, I'd go with EPM.

In the interests of full disclosure, I've been to the VIM four times and love it there, so it's not like I have anything against that resort - quite the contrary!

Mobile, Alabama
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Thanks! EPM is only $200 more for 8 nights so I think that's pretty close to the same.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 03:09
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Hi

If you type VIM into the search box above you will find all the previous threads on the topic

From what I have read EPM wins overall

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Apples and Oranges. We stay at EPM and did an extensive tour at VIM. VIM was too large, too much walking and not enough air conditioning. The breakfast buffet looked to be open air (only the food was in air conditioning). Too far to walk to the beach and restaurants... I don't want to wait for a golf cart to pick me up to take me where I need to go... EPM is tight and even if it is raining you never have to get wet...

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Mattbeth - did you actually stay at the VIM or just tour the resort?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Just visited and took the grand tour with the manager for about an hour..... decided against it. No comparison IMO.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 12:46
Mobile, Alabama
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Mattbeth- How would you compare the beaches and the water?

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

OK, well, with the greatest of respect to mattbeth:

- there are AC options for breakfast. Le Marche is the main buffet and the principle seating area is indeed non AC. However, two of the evening a la carte restaurants, La Hacienda and Tamansari, are easily accessed from this buffet. Either one or both of these rooms are open for breakfast and lunch and they are both air-conditoined. At Le Marche, you also have the option of dining on the deck as well;

- the resort does seem large at first but when you stay there, you clue in the short-cuts pretty quickly. The rooms at the very edges of the resort are at most a 15 minute stroll from the restaurants and less to the main beach (but very close, as in 30 seconds or so, to the quiet beach). The cheapest suites are also the most centrally located. Depending upon exactly which building you're, you're between about 2 - 10 (max) minutes from either the beach or the restaurants; the closer you are to one, the further you are from the other. From all these buildings (3, 4 and 5) you're about 2-3 minutes from the main pool.

Despite the tone of this post, I'm not trying to "defend" the VIM or talk it up in any way (no, really, I'm not - lol!). I just want to point out that there are AC options at breakfast and by quanitifying the actual amount of walking involved, I hope people can make their own, informed, decision in that regard. And this is not to say that EPM isn't a superior resort to the VIM in every way.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 13:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Thanks Liisa, it's good to get an opinion from someone who has stayed at both. We are considering VIM for a future trip.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence P M vs Valentin

Just to be clear Laney, I have NOT stayed at both.

I've been to the VIM four times. I've considered and priced out EPM but it's always been significantly more money than the VIM. If the OP (or anyone else for that matter) is seeing these two resorts price out close to each other, then either the EPM is a deal or the VIM is overpriced. Either way, that points to EPM being the better option from that perspective.