We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food is always subjective

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Food is always subjective

Hmmmm just read a recent review re epm's food. dont want to sound precious about the resort, should we expect a 5 star all inclusive resort to be the same as Claridges in London etc? For me as long as its tasty and fresh you're getting extremely good value for money.

Discuss :)))

Gateshead UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food is always subjective

Just read that review myself and will be there in just over 2 weeks time.

I am not the least bit worried about that review as everyone has different tastes in food and my memories of EPM food was just wonderful and I would expect it to be the same this time round.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food is always subjective

No. Itis not micheline starred dining, but for all inclusive it is very good.

Put into perspective what you are paying ($350 per night). That is for beautiful accommodations, all meals and snacks, all alcohol including wind and fine liqueurs, daytime and nighttime activities.

To stay in such a nice room here In Toronto would be easily $600 and up per night, plus tax, plus about $9 per drink, $100 for a good bottle of wine, and about $300 for a decent dinner. Yu really can't compare . Go with realistic expectations and you will not be disappointed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food is always subjective

For the most part, we thoroughly enjoyed the food. Everything was tasty and presented nicely. A couple of dishes could have been served hotter. On no occasion did we feel that something was so bad as to want to send it back. Our favorites were Agave and Chez Isabelle.

Breakfast and lunch buffet had a very extensive selection. And the wood oven pizza at Sol was great for lunch or a snack as well.

Overall, we were very happy with the food, and the service in the restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food is always subjective

Kerlyran - sort of. You can stay at somewhere like the Ritz Carlton Toronto in a club room for $575, which includes food and drinks (including high end liquor, cocktails etc.) throughout the day (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, evening nibbles (which are extensive enough to be dinner), desserts etc.

5. Re: Food is always subjective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 12:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food is always subjective

I think the thing that strikes me most is the fact somewhere with such a rich food heritage, tries to do Italian food. Let's be realistic, most of the chefs have never been to Italy / Asia / France etc. so expecting them to cook authentic food from those locations is asking a lot. I think it would be far better if they concentrate on the foods they know intimately, and use the ingredients that lend themselves to those dishes (not try and make foie gras with sub par ingredients). Then, I think you'd see far better quality food all around.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food is always subjective

$575 is a lot more than wha the lowest rate for EPM is showing as $257 per night at the moment. I have stayed in a club room at the Ritz, and a small buffet breakfast, snacks, sweets and afternoon tea do not compare to all that plus three full meals per day.

I am just trying to let people know that you must have reasonable expectations when going to an AI resort in Mexico or the Carribean... It is much the same food as a cruise line. At EPM, the food is generally a step up from other AI's... But don't expect it to be on par with Noma or Per SE, or one will be sorely disappointed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Food is always subjective

bonjonjel, to make sure we're on the same page, I meant temperature-wise, not the degree of spiciness.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food is always subjective

Oh, and I would stay away from Spice... It is easily the worst restaurant of any resort I have been two. I SO want to enjoy Spice because the room is beautiful, but the food has been Inedible every time we have been.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food is always subjective

Emma I totally agree. Why every resort feels the need to have an around the world tour is confusing to me. When I go to a country, I like to eat the cuisine of that country. Mexico is such a large country with so many regional cuisines, it would be so nice to see resorts focus on that.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres
Recent Conversations