We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Manchester
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Seriously.

I've just read a review for EPM and a poster is upset that s/he had to wait 40-45 mins for their drink order as there was only one server around the main pool. Doesn't anyone else just go to the bar? We do. We always use the smoothie bar ( maybe not this year as apparently no booze there now) and also cafe Kafe as we go for swim ups, building 5 facing the spa and that's a walk/swim away. Surely it's not too much trouble going to the bar yourself?

I mean if you're happy to wait, great. But if you are truly parched and feel a bit sorry for the guy running around that many people around the pool then go say hola to the bar staff at the bar.

Yes we've paid a lot of money to be there, but not to be waited on hand and foot. That would be so much more expensive surely? If you want butler service, go somewhere which exclusively advertises it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,991 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Hi

Personally, I can see it both ways

I have no issues with getting up and getting a drink or even a bottle water

However, as you say people have paid a reasonable amount of money to go to EPM and they do advertise a "pool and beach waiter service" and therefore they should staff accordingly so that "all" guests get good service. I say "all" as in quite a few of the live from threads when occupancy has been at or is at 100% people are saying the service is great so perhaps it is about consistency of service

Edited: 11 April 2013, 16:55
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Yeah, I'm with FFM. For some people, pool and beach service is very important and major factor in their resort choice, so I can understand that they're ticked if the resort doesn't deliver on that front.

I, on the other hand, welcome the opportunity to get up and get a bit of exercise and stretch my legs a bit. And if I'm feeling TRULY lazy, my darling husband is happy to fetch and carry for me on account of I'm a VERY generous tipper.

!!!!

Edited: 11 April 2013, 17:00
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

I would / could not wait 45 mins for a drink period! LOL I just wait 10-15 mins or so and if they don't come back, I go get one myself. When the do return.... I have 2.

Lisa, My wife tips great as well... only to me though! LOL ;-)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

I think it is a serious issue. If you are at a restaurant, would you retrieve your own food from the hot plate? Would you go behind the bar and pour yourself a beer? Maybe you would but should you be expected to do so?

When we accept less, the resorts deliver less. They think they can get away with providing inconsistent service because people don't complain and in the end, they hire less waitstaff. Nobody wins when we accept mediocrity. At EPM prices, they should have enough servers to provide the level of service the price warrants.

For beach service, I usually give a large tip up front and tell the person that I don't want to see the bottom of the glass. The Royal Hideaway and Privilege Aluxes were able to accommodate but most places are too slow. Frankly, I'd rather have them bring me several beers on ice in a bucket. That makes their job easier but some resorts won't do it.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Good points Duckbilled.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Luvthesun2....you took the words out of my mouth. I could not/would not wait 45 minutes. I like to move around and really don't need to be waited on.....doesn't bother me in the least.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,991 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

"For beach service, I usually give a large tip up front and tell the person that I don't want to see the bottom of the glass"

Personally, I totally disagree with such practices as pre-tipping for service can be a factor in adding to the inconsistency in service levels

London, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Karmaandcraig : you said exactly how I feel yes I have paid a lot of money but I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot , yes it will be nice but seriously if you can get your own what is the problem !

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

Does EPM even offer to serve buckets of beer?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,991 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's wrong with getting up and getting a drink?

I have certainly seen it on the EC beach and EC pools