We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few questions please guys

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
few questions please guys

We are set for our first trip to cancun, staying at epm on the 23rd April,

Just a couple of things

1 - Am I better taking a mixture of dollars and peso's and if so what kind of split, 50/50 or majority dollars?

2- How many peso's per person is the departure tax? Does this have to be paid in peso's?

3- Will other touist spots such as Isle Mujures take dollars?

4- Is the use of the safe in the room free of charge?

5- Can you order just drinks to your room as part of room service?

6- Is the use of concierge just for club guests

Thanks to everyone who has helped answer my questions over the last few months, can't wait for our trip

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: few questions please guys

#1. We take all USD never used a peso...

#2. Have no idea

#3. Isle Mujeres all take USD.. Never had an issue...

#4. Safe is free

#5. Yes.. 24 hours a day...

#6. The EC club concierge is just for EC, but, each bldg should have its own concierge.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: few questions please guys

We use Peso's exclusively off resort and mostly Peso's on resort. the 10-1 'normal' exchange rate means you lose about 20% value over the real exchange rate. On resort the shops no longer takes USD. As mentioned before no one will ever complain about a tip in USD, but if we have to exchange anyway there is really no point in changing into USD instead of Peso's. (Unless of coarse you are coming from the US)

Rj

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: few questions please guys

1. US dollars are widely accepted in the tourist areas but your money will go further if you use pesos. If you have to do a currency exchange anyway, then skip the dollars and go straight to pesos. (I suspect that Mattbeth takes USD because he/she is FROM the US and thus likely has US dollars on hand.)

2. I believe it's 800 pesos. You can pay it in sterling too - I think it's around 45 pounds. It's usually better for you to pay in pesos though. (I haven't checked lately but at one point, it worked out about 5 quid a head better.) Sometimes they will take US dollars and sometimes not when it comes to the departure tax, so definitely don't count on dollars for that. FYI, if you're flying with BA or Virgin, the departure tax is already covered in the price of your ticket.)

3. See #1.

4, 5 and 6 - see Mattbeth's responses.

Happy travels!

california
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: few questions please guys

Rj:

Do you know why the resort shops don't take pesos? I was at another resort down towards Tulum a couple months ago and there was no problem using dollars for everything on hotel grounds.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: few questions please guys

The resort shops DO take pesos... Not US $

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: few questions please guys

A friend of ours tried to pay USD. They didn't say why they won't take them anymore. Just that it was a fairly new change.

Rj

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: few questions please guys

Regarding use of USD in gift shops and other places on property - there was a sign up that said something about a new regulation where businesses could only accept so much in foreign currency in a given month. I think it might have been $10,000. So, they don't accept them anymore. You have to use pesos or credit card.

If you're coming from UK, it seems like it would be easier for you to just get pesos before you arrive.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: few questions please guys

In January, the shops at EPM took dollars, and in fact quoted all prices in dollars. I only brought pesos and actually their conversion worked in my favor. This has changed since January?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: few questions please guys

Hi we're heading out to epm for the 2nd time this year. We just take pesos. Can't remember exactly what dept tax is but once you've found stick the cash in your safe for when you're ready to leave. We book non ec rooms you can order drinks by the glass via room service however you like!! But you also get beer, 4 bottles of spirits with mixers, pop and red wine in your mini bar as part of your package :)))) enjoy

Worcester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: few questions please guys

I know the "gift shop" only accepts pesos but the jewelry shop does accept US $. I bought a beautiful ring there, and btw everthing is 50% off!