We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi all,

I hope your all well I have a question I wondered if anyone could help with?!

We are coming in June from England and will soon be sorting out our money! Obviously this is a personal question but I just wondered if anyone had any idea how much money people take for a 2 week holiday here?! And would we be better gettin pesos or dollars?! I hope no one is offended by this question, my husband and I plan on doing a trip or two and a couple of treatments in the spa also!

Thanks!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Hi - for buying goods on Isla Mujeres, Cancun or Playa del Carmen or tipping at EPM pesos would be best. For the spa you could just charge to your room and pay by credit card when you check out.

If you do a search on tipping at EPM there have been lots of threads on this. You could determine then how much cash to bring.

My wife and I tend to bring enough cash for tips, do very little shopping and if we do a spa treatment or tour then pay by credit card.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Get Peso's,that is the country's currency, since you are travelling from England there is no point in you exchanging to U.S. and then to peso's, even though dollar's are still widely accepted peso's will go further. Getting money at an ATM as you need it is suggested mostly on these forums.You can pay for your excursions by credit card. You didn't say if you were staying at a AI or not so if you have to go buy all of your meals and drinks you will need more than usual. You can expect to pay $60 -$90 U.S. per person for a full day excursion. A good meal off the resort can run $50-$100 for two depending on how many drinks you have. Hope this helps as it really is hard to tell someone how much money to bring.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Hi

We usually just get peso's and normally take £300.00 worth in cash. We usually expect to give around £150.00 in tips over the two weeks. The other £150.00 on other bits and bobs airport etc plus a credit card for trips.

Hope this helps :))

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Pesos is most logical however the pound is currently stronger against the US $ than the Peso. We are going to EPM very soon and plan to take about £350. We will probably get a mix of dollars and pesos. You don't really want to bring Pesos home unless you are planning a return trip? You can pay for your exit tax in Pesos, approx £45 each to get rid of Pesos and the exit tax works out cheaper to pay in Pesos than in dollars or pounds (pounds may not be accpeted any more?), you save about £5 each. Stores off resort are limited to accept no more than $10,000 (I think) a month now ant they appear to be starting to take this seriously so may only accept Pesos. Our American friends who have been recently should be able to comment? We tend not go shopping when we are at EPM so not 100% certain on this.

I know the EPM Spa accepts US $ or mexican pesos but I hear the gift shop is now saying Peso's only not that we ever buy much of anthing in there. The jewellers there will take either. Hope this helps.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 22:40
UK
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Hi

We take pesos and take around £500 equivalent and usually bring some back.

If you are concerned that you may run short remember you can always used your credit card for spa charges, non AI room or wine charges or ATM withdrawals. Just be mindful that your card provider may charge for conversion - so worth checking with the provider before you travel to avoid any nasty surprises when you get home

Hope this is helpful

Regards

H

Edited: 25 April 2013, 22:42
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

We arrive in 8 days time so will report back once we get home (don't want to think about that just yet!) Higrade is right though, you could take a CC or debit card as backup.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 23:53
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
565 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Hi we went last year to EPM and took £500 in dollars and pesos mixed did no trips and spent about £300 in tips. This year we are planning a night out in Cancun does anyone know roughly how much a good night in Cancun would cost?

London, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

Bradsjollies

We was wondering exactly the same as we are at EPM in June and fancy a night in cancun , anyone else there 8th-22nd and fancy a night out in cancun let us know!! Stephandcraig when in June are you there?.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

We stayed in Cancun 10 years ago and did CoCo Bongo and the Rock Bar amongst others. Most of the big clubs are All Inclusive. A standard ticket for CoCo will cost you about $60 but you can pay more for a VIP one. The tour desks at EPM offer packages with transport there and back. A return taxi will cost about $80 if you do it yourself. CoCo is a big production performance if you haven't seen it before then it is something! Depends on what you are after? We enjoyed the Rock Bar which had a live rock band appear above the bar playing some quality tunes, it was a bit like the movie sequence 'From Dusk till Dawn'!!!

Edited: 26 April 2013, 08:57
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

Morrispricey

We arrive June 9th - June 24th!! Can not wait!! Never been to Mexico before!!